News   May 14, 2024
 40     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 900     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'm curious about who controls the timing of the lights for the streetcars on the rights of ways? Is it the City or does the TTC set them? Because they way the are set up is kind of odd and allows two streetcars to occupy the same block of track. Alos it could probably help at Spadina to have the timing of the signal at the entrance be set so that a streetcar can enter and drop off passengers and pull forward so there isn't a line of them waiting in the tunnel, They could alos add a signal at Queens Quay to hold a car until Union is clear as well, as it sometimes has cars backing up in the tunnel too.
Transportation.

Now why did that happen? Was there Boxing Day shopping somewhere along this route?
Probably they don't need 2 cars for training this week. So we are maxing out at 22 in service rather than the recent 20. 22 again today, all 509, and 510, plus 2 on 514.

I wonder if that s the main problem with bunching of streetcars. If they could adjust them to operate as a block signal it would probably space out cars a lot better and make times on the route better.
They can't wait in the middle of the road in rush hour. Especially not Queen or King. Block signals would be more useful if they were early instead of late. If would be better if operators know what's in front or behind them when they are running and could adjust accordingly to the situation.

If TTC could dynamically assigned cars and operators on the spot with a computer software oppose to fix paper schedules, service would improve.

4430 may finally enter service on 510 tomorrow since its out side the service bays in the yard for the first time since Monday. It was still inside around 6 pm today.

Its been in different bays the past week to the point the GPS had it in different part of Ontario.

Not sure if it had to do with lack of staff for the holiday or took a lot longer to fix what had to be fix to put it on the road.

Last edited:
They can't wait in the middle of the road in rush hour. Especially not Queen or King. Block signals would be more useful if they were early instead of late. If would be better if operators know what's in front or behind them when they are running and could adjust accordingly to the situation.

If TTC could dynamically assigned cars and operators on the spot with a computer software oppose to fix paper schedules, service would improve.
I understand they can't do it on every line I ment in the ones that they have a private right of way..

The screen on their console already tells the operator everyting they need to know about whether to proceed or hold back. It's the single-passenger automobile stopped in front of them that makes the streetcars behind them bunch up.

- Paul

The screen on their console already tells the operator everyting they need to know about whether to proceed or hold back. It's the single-passenger automobile stopped in front of them that makes the streetcars behind them bunch up.

- Paul

More likely it's the single-occupant automobile. Single-passenger means two people in the automobile, and that's over the average of 1.3 per motor vehicle that is not a transit vehicle.

- Paul
I understand that happening on the regular routes but what is the excuse for it happening on 510, 509 and 512. The only right of way it doesn't happen on is cherry street but it doesn't see more then 2 streetcars pass each other at a time.

Back