News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is the second time I've heard it here, but I'm still not finding where that is on the service changes page...
Neither am I.
GO Posted then took down the new schedule BUT I saved the PDF Sked. I'll post shortly but it will be 4 trains, 1 express in AM and 1 Express in the PM from Bramalea, 3 all stops.
Is this for Sept 6 on?

I'm reading: "There will be other new services and changes starting September 3 – watch for more information soon.". They may have had second thoughts about the prior posted schedule.

Last edited:
New Trains to Kitchener are as follows starting Tuesday September 6th, 2016

AM

5:24 arrive Union 7:27
6:04 (Express from Bramalea) - Union 7:55
6:47 arrive 8:50
7:10 arrive 9:13

PM

4:50 (Express to Bramalea) - Kitchener 6:45pm
5:20 arrive 7:29
5:50 arrive 7:57
6:50 arrive 8:57

Trips times are faster for some trips from 2 to 10 minutes or so based on a quick look at current schedule (Don't quote me lol)

Last edited:
"It would have taken an incredible amount of force to open the door,” said Aikins, who added that GO Transit trains have a safety feature that immediately halts a train when “a door is open a little."

I accidentally pushed open the doors of a moving train with what at the time felt like surprisingly little force. It was a few years ago, but I doubt there is any difference in the mechanisms now.
One has to wonder on "incredible amount of force". Pretty subjective, not the least due to the PR slant. If there was an accident where questions were asked about passengers escaping, I'm sure the spin would be the opposite.

You are looking at this the wrong way and no RR would do what you want or say.

It makes no different if there a 100 gal or 1,000 gal fuel saving on your line, the operation cost will remain the same.

Spend a week watching the ridership at each stations all day to see what it is daily and that will tell you if 30 minute service can be justify. I haven't nor will I do it. Time to close the book on this.
I have to disagree. LIRR are rife in discussion on exactly this point for the non-electrified outer branches, and I'm certainly aware of it in European nations, and here's a quick Google to show Chicago:
Why the CTA runs shorter trains at off hours - to save money!
18 comments

By Kevin O'Neil, January 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm
In my eight-plus years of blogging about the CTA, one of the more common complaints I've gotten is riders wondering why the CTA runs short trains during off-peak hours - especially on the Brown Line.

They always say: "Well, how can it cost *that* much more money to add two or four more cars?"

Well, thanks to Monday's Getting Around column in the Tribune, now we know exactly how much more money it does cost. Columnist Jon Hilkevitch reports:

The cost of running a four-car train from the Kimball terminal to the Loop and back to Kimball totals $324.75 on average, according to a CTA itemization of available expenses in 2011 that the Tribune requested. The cost increases to an average of $447.94 to run a six-car train and $571.12 to operate an eight-car train, the agency said.

Trib-graphic-on-long-train-vs-short-trains.jpg

In a cost-saving move, the CTA no longer operates six-car trains on the Brown Line, nor on any other lines during midday service, officials said.

Transit officials said five expenses comprise the total operating costs: electricity; rail car maintenance, which includes parts and labor for repairs; operator salary and benefits; indirect costs, which include coupling and decoupling trains, cleaning a rail station and maintaining facilities; and capital expenses, which include the wear and tear on rail cars, tracks, signals and power infrastructure.

Changing the size of a train requires at least three workers — one or two switch workers, a yard master and a lead switchman — to couple or decouple rail cars and move the train out of the yard to begin service, officials said. They could not provide a cost estimate of a sample coupling-decoupling procedure.

On the CTA rail system as a whole, to operate a train for an hour the operator accounts for about 31 percent of the cost; power, 19 percent; and maintenance, 50 percent, according to the transit agency. Power and maintenance costs are about twice as much for an eight-car train as they are for a four-car train, officials said.

So there you have it folks. The CTA is saving $246.37 on a Brown Line round trip with a four-car train vs. an eight-car train. And a spokesman told Hilkevitch: "We are unaware of any current off-peak service where trains are at maximum capacity and passengers are unable to board."
http://www.chicagonow.com/cta-tattl...ns-shorter-trains-at-off-hours-to-save-money/

CTA is considerably larger and older than GO Transit. Does Metrolinx know something they don't? I doubt it...

Edit to Add: Just checked the originating story link at the Chicago Tribune. It's alive, and an extensive two page story:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...07_1_cta-brown-line-rail-cars-off-peak-riders

Sample:
[...]
Systemwide, the CTA said it saves several million dollars annually by varying the length of trains over the course of the day. Running longer trains more often would rack up mileage more quickly, increasing the wear and tear on the cars, tracks and signal system, officials said.

The cost of running a four-car train from the Kimball terminal to the Loop and back to Kimball totals $324.75 on average, according to a CTA itemization of available expenses in 2011 that the Tribune requested. The cost increases to an average of $447.94 to run a six-car train and $571.12 to operate an eight-car train, the agency said.

In a cost-saving move, the CTA no longer operates six-car trains on the Brown Line, nor on any other lines during midday service, officials said.

Transit officials said five expenses comprise the total operating costs: electricity; rail car maintenance, which includes parts and labor for repairs; operator salary and benefits; indirect costs, which include coupling and decoupling trains, cleaning a rail station and maintaining facilities; and capital expenses, which include the wear and tear on rail cars, tracks, signals and power infrastructure. [...]

Last edited:
I have to disagree. LIRR are rife in discussion on exactly this point for the non-electrified outer branches, and I'm certainly aware of it in European nations, and here's a quick Google to show Chicago:

http://www.chicagonow.com/cta-tattl...ns-shorter-trains-at-off-hours-to-save-money/

CTA is considerably larger and older than GO Transit. Does Metrolinx know something they don't? I doubt it...

Edit to Add: Just checked the originating story link at the Chicago Tribune. It's alive, and an extensive two page story:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...07_1_cta-brown-line-rail-cars-off-peak-riders

Sample:
Its been stated by someone here who has first hand knowledge that it cost about $500 to break down a train to x size and the same cost to rebuild it for off peak. It supposed to take 30 minutes to do it.

You are comparing apple and oranges when comparing CTA to ML, as there are totally different system. Now if we are talking EMU's, yes there is a cost saving and if you check around, I been calling for this since 2012 and before.

Maybe that someone will give the full reason and cost why ML doesn't break trains down for off peak so you and others under stand it.

You can't compare ML to any Europe system as its apple and oranges again.

This is the second time I've heard it here, but I'm still not finding where that is on the service changes page...
They haven't posted it yet. Pick a day to travel after Labour Day, and then just select the PDF schedule. Which leads to http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/PDF/Timetables/09161216/Table31.pdf for Kitchener.

GO Posted then took down the new schedule BUT I saved the PDF Sked. I'll post shortly but it will be 4 trains, 1 express in AM and 1 Express in the PM from Bramalea, 3 all stops.
The PDF schedules are still up. See above link.

Its been stated by someone here who has first hand knowledge that it cost about $500 to break down a train to x size and the same cost to rebuild it for off peak. It supposed to take 30 minutes to do it.

You are comparing apple and oranges when comparing CTA to ML, as there are totally different system. Now if we are talking EMU's, yes there is a cost saving and if you check around, I been calling for this since 2012 and before.

Maybe that someone will give the full reason and cost why ML doesn't break trains down for off peak so you and others under stand it.

You can't compare ML to any Europe system as its apple and oranges again.
What you're referring to is primitive coupling system (knuckle type) and non-inclusive electrical connections in the coupling. That is one aspect of the discussion, although I believe AMT did this at one time, but what I was discussing, if you read back, is *dedicated three car trains*...on the surmise that "enough stock is available", (I estimate three train sets to do a Bramalea 15 min shuttle) thus my raising the issue of sufficient "control and handicap coaches" to make it legal and workable. I also suggested using older locos due to the reduced demand put on it.

Some of the following are diesel lines, the exception being the ones on the NE Corridor (now being replaced by Siemens Chargers...diesel!)
MARC will run more, shorter trains
by Miriam Schoenbaum • January 25, 2011

MARC hopes to improve Penn Line service by running more frequent, shorter trains, MTA Chief of Staff Simon Taylor told the MARC Riders Advisory Council on Thursday.

Shorter trains, Taylor explained, will put less strain on the engine and be less likely to break down. More frequent trains will supply at least as many total seats and make train travel more convenient.

Taylor listed five goals for the schedule changes: (Separate HEP renders point 1 less of an issue - steveintoronto)

1. Reduce engine strain. An engine pulling a heavy train with 8 cars and up to 1,500 people has little extra power for lights and climate control and is more likely to break down.
  2. Add capacity. There are too many standing-room-only trains and trains too full to pick up passengers at intermediate stops.
  3. Improve on-time performance. Frequent delays are caused by interference between MARC and Amtrak trains and by insufficient recovery time in the schedule for trains that arrive, turn around, and go back.
  4. Increase service to Odenton and Aberdeen, to help with BRAC changes at Fort Meade and Aberdeen Proving Ground.
  5. Reduce train storage at overcrowded Union Station by using MARC's Martins maintenance facility.
  1. http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/8930/marc-will-run-more-shorter-trains/

Last edited:
Finally, sub-2-hour Kitchener GO trains.

With some simple Kitchener corridor improvements there could be a 1h30min train. Improvements to the problematic Kitchener-Guelph section (a very straight line, but at very pokey speeds today) would make a big difference, for example.

Surprised that 'Express from Bramalea' only shaved 12 minutes, I would have expected more of an impact from skipping 4 stops...
During the mid-day, when the runs down to Union go express from Malton, the schedule shows the same time to do that segment as the stopping trains. That route, all the way from Kitchener, is heavily padded. It can be infuriating, especially for Kitchenettes (I couldn't resist) as often the train will sit for close to ten minutes at Guelph before crawling on its way to Kitchener. That's a dispatch issue more than anything I believe. The only thing worse than taking that train is taking the 33 bus!

Surprised that 'Express from Bramalea' only shaved 12 minutes, I would have expected more of an impact from skipping 4 stops...
the hint would have been in the previous schedule....the train existed before and the only difference now is it extends to KW....we also discussed how much saving there would be several times in this thread.

I hope that's not the reason. I have been questioning whether ML has a robust staffing plan since...... well, for longer than it takes to qualify a class of locomotive engineers. And we have the Stouffville and Barrie upgrades finishing in a year or two. And Bramalea.

- Paul

It's not Metrolinx that's playing around here, it's BBD. Metrolinx gives them a budget and a listing of the projected schedule changes for the year or two, and then BBD comes back with a "Yeah, we can do that" or a "Naw, that's going to be tough, let's move it back 3 months". As they are the ones providing the service, it's ultimately up to Bombardier to give the go-ahead to the changes. Which is a bit of the tail wagging the dog I suppose, but that's how things are in a Federally regulated industry.

There's a bit of variance in it depending on zone speeds and grades, but generally each station adds about 3 minutes to the schedule. 4 stops X 3 minutes equals 12 minutes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back