Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

Approve the damn thing!

I was shocked at how many people were on Bay St on Saturday--I suppose film festival made it active from Bloor to College. Bay St needs a purpose and it suddenly dawned on me what would work here: Books on Bay! Yeah all those cheapish dead retail joints could become a booksellers "alley." Close to many Uni students, Bay st types, etc. Books 'n Brunch: my fantasy!

Widen the sidewalks or put a centre University-Style medium down the middle, add some gorgeous tall highrises without pathetic small-town podiums, a couple dozen cafes and bookshops and antique dealers: Bay St comes alive!

Looking forward to walking down it in 2030.

Approve the damn thing!
Bay St needs a purpose and it suddenly dawned on me what would work here: Books on Bay! Yeah all those cheapish dead retail joints could become a booksellers "alley." Close to many Uni students, Bay st types, etc. Books 'n Brunch: my fantasy!

Well, there is already a decent start on it with the so-called 'World's Biggest Bookstore' on Edward just off Bay. Never mind that it is far from being the actual world's largest -- I was once in a bookstore in New Jersey that was much larger, and I am sure that there are others. Not sure if there is a long-term future for the brick-and-mortar bookstore, though. I already buy all my books through Amazon, and a few other specialty online shippers.

But I agree that Bay Street would be a good central location for catering to college students as well as business types -- so, beer parlours and book stores it should be, for the immediate future.

Bill

bay street near Dundas is more alive due to the huge number of students in the Business building and the many shoppers at the Best Buy and Canadian Tire.

Does anyone know when this thing is going to be approved/put down? I am anxiously awaiting news on "Yes, it is approved" or something along those lines. :D

Is a date set for it to go to council?

Sadly, they are still talking about townhouses on Bay St. This is unfortunate for such a main street (which could use some pedestrian life).

^^ New York City has brownstones and townhomes facing onto some fairly major streets. This doesn't surprise me at all on this proposal.

In the past couple of years Bay Street from about Dundas to Wellesley has become considerably busier at night with foot traffic and that will only increase in the next couple of years. As the population increases along this street the problem will continue to be there's not much there at night, only a spotty few pubs, coffee shops & variety stores dotting the street.

It lacks vibrancy, convenience and a sense of neighbourhood, which it is essentially becoming. Upper Bay Street has a large concentration of highrises & people living in them, which is probably going to easily double in the next 3-4 years so I think it's unfortunate that life at street level is so poor considering the high density of people living there.

Maybe the street just hasn't hit critical mass yet in terms of sustaining a lively retail scene. With Murano, Burano, Lumiere, and this one coming, and RoCP2 occupying shortly, things will change. Existing retail locations long here have had a spotty history for the last few decades, and that should turn around.

There will likely be a strip of shops along the south side of Wellesley between Bay and Yonge soon too as a large new rental project will soon be underway there.

Alas, local condos rarely generate enough traffic for any retail other than the usual RabbaMovieStoreDryCleaners. Real, vibrant retail strips must draw people in from all over the city. Unfortunately, the atmosphere of a condo strip is rarely condusive to that. Even if it were, most condo developers wouldn't rent to "unusual" stores.

Retail strips tend to develop organically, and I don't expect Bay will ever become one of note.

I think Bay Street's main problem is the proximity to Yonge Street. Yonge's gravity is such that one would be silly to stroll along Bay street looking at stores when Yonge is right there, and runs in the same direction. This is why Bay will be strictly utilitarian and local (convenience stores, video rental and the like) for a long time, if not forever.

Back