News   May 06, 2024
 34     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 431     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: Illumination of the Bloor Viaduct

Do we have to pay for it? I'd rather spend the budget on the upgrades.

I'll substitute for him. We were born in the same week and I have a Metropass so it won't cost anything.

Junctionist mentioned upgrading the bridge's street lights to something more decorative; how about painting the steel work of the Luminous Veil, black? I think that would make it much more attractive in daylight and it would tie in with the black iron work that makes up the arches. Even corten would look better than what is extant. I've never liked the plain, raw, gray steel look of the Veil.

lceeclb696qdiqyx.jpg

Photo: Localwiki

Last edited:
How about painting it a lighter colour; maybe white? In daylight the veil looks as cold and ugly as our metal utility poles. It looks as if it's awaiting some sort of finish.

If black doesn't reflect light well, then how will that work out for the arches?

Painting it black will still allow you to see it (esp. considering the massiveness of the steel structure) but it won't have the shimming effect the narrow stainless steel rods provides.

Painting something as intricate as this is probably inviting trouble in the future - and besides, the whole point of the materials chosen was that it doesn't need to be painted.

AoD

Reactions: PL1
The rods are fine the way they are. I was referring more to the supports that protrude off the bridge. Those are an eyesore.

Ah, I love long-exposure with sodium streetlight illumination. They give a natural sepia, warm, surreal quality that you can never achieve with metal halide or LED lights.

Back