News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Amalgamation is the gift that keeps on giving.

For now. The core keeps exploding with condos, and the urbanization continues to spread outwards. Eventually, urban voters will overtake suburban and it will never turn back. Short term pain, long term gain?

For now. The core keeps exploding with condos, and the urbanization continues to spread outwards. Eventually, urban voters will overtake suburban and it will never turn back. Short term pain, long term gain?

So you're saying that we'll have LRTs and cafés on every street? It's the leftist dream :D

This is silly; please don't make this another city vs. suburbs issue because it is not. Each ward has residents who support one option or the other based on their own life situations and priorities. I know people who live all over the city and their positions are all over the place too. Each councilor only gets one vote and they have to weigh the pros and cons of all people in the ward. Some councilors have their own ideological biases and aren't necessarily even reflecting the views of residents. We know that incumbents are almost impossible to unseat, so why is it so hard to believe that some councilors are voting against resident's interests?

Its not hard to believe at all sadly

Rhetorics from all points of views aside, this is a political loss for Tory, don't doubt it.

He had to ditch his stance on carding and tack on every thought of amendment to the hybrid option to get enough votes for it to pass, in the mean time he has made enemies with half of the city's councilors.

Scarborough Subway is not going to get passed if today is any indication.

Actually it is. Without the property tax base of all of Toronto, downtowners would never have enough revenue to fund their pet projects.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it's easy to answer either way - whether one part of the city would be able to go it alone or not. I do personally believe, however, that we certainly are all supporting one another and would be worse off without the rest.

Relevant link.

Toronto / East York contributes more than 40 per cent of the property taxes in the city. Scarborough contributes approximately 15 per cent, Etobicoke contributes about 20 per cent and North York contributes about 25 per cent.

Actually it is. Without the property tax base of all of Toronto, downtowners would never have enough revenue to fund their pet projects.

Right, like the $3,400,000,000 Scarborough subway and an unwanted $919,000,000 rebuilding of an expressway.

Mark Grimes (represents Humber Bay and a streetcar suburb) voted for the hybrid. Cesar Palacio (St Clair Ave) voted for the hybrid. Carmichael Greb (emphasis on CAR) from Young & Eg voted for the hybrid. The previous terrible councillor Karen Stintz would have also voted for the hybrid. Tory got his strongest electoral support in this area even after shitting on Eglinton Connects. Meanwhile there were a few suburban councillors who did voted for the boulevard today. I wish I could say more condos was enough to fight suburban ideology, but it's not that simple.

Here's the vote map.

Screen shot 2015-06-11 at 5.06.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-11 at 5.06.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-11 at 5.06.58 PM.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 594
Hoping and praying to the transit gods that Wynne will put the kibosh on this. The Libs have invested an extraordinary amount of capital (political and otherwise) in their transit plan. Wynne seems to want to make the environment part of her legacy (as mentioned before on here). This is Glen Murray's riding, he is environment minister and firmly against the expressway. Methinks the situation is ripe for a Bill Davis-style intervention.

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

Perhaps they will do a Davis move and Wynne will step forward to say its coming down

All my friends who voted for Tory, thinking he would be a reasonable compromise now regret their vote now that they see he's as "conservative" as Rob Ford

(Conservative in quotation marks, because I don't think I've seen a mayor want to spend anywhere near as much money as Tory does. But he's conservative in the sense that he enjoys cutting public services. )

Back