News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Yonge-Finch Old vs. New

oreoshack

Member Bio
Reaction score
Old Pictures from 1972 taken from the archives compared to pictures taken from 2008.
YongeN2.jpg

NYongeN2.jpg

YongeN.jpg

NYongeN.jpg

yongefinchSW.jpg

NyongefinchSW.jpg

yongefinchSE.jpg

NyongefinchSE.jpg

yongefinchNE2.jpg

NyongefinchNE2.jpg

YongefinchNE.jpg

NYongeFinchNE.jpg

formerxerox.jpg

Nformerxerox.jpg

Here are some just cool shots from around the area.
DorisaveN.jpg

rushhouryonge.jpg

LookingsouthonYonge.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that charcoal place in picture 13 was actually a Mcdonalds before?

It was a McDonalds. You can see the cut arches. Someone once told me it it was the first McDonalds in either North York or Toronto. Now it was before my time so I can't say if that was correct.

We lived at Bayview and Sheppard when my parents and I moved here in 1970, and cityscapes such as these reflect the Toronto I was introduced to. Sheppard was a much narrower street than it is now, with far less traffic. Coming from semi-rural England the 401 was an extraordinary sight, and the brand new buildings everywhere and the suburban sprawl of the York Mills and Leslie neighbourhoods were quite baffling.

I went to York Mills Collegiate, worked part time in the ( open air in those days ) Bayview Village Shopping Centre some evenings and at weekends, to save money for art school, and sometimes hitchhiked downtown with buddies at weekends to escape the boredom of North York.

We lived at Bayview and Sheppard when my parents and I moved here in 1970, and cityscapes such as these reflect the Toronto I was introduced to. Sheppard was a much narrower street than it is now, with far less traffic. Coming from semi-rural England the 401 was an extraordinary sight, and the brand new buildings everywhere and the suburban sprawl of the York Mills and Leslie neighbourhoods were quite baffling.

I went to York Mills Collegiate, worked part time in the ( open air in those days ) Bayview Village Shopping Centre some evenings and at weekends, to save money for art school, and sometimes hitchhiked downtown with buddies at weekends to escape the boredom of North York.

Yes, it's hard to believe the makeover of this shopping centre. Mom and pop shops and a Kmart (or was it a Woolco?) turned into what it is now.

Kmart, which closed in 1998, was at the east end. I sold shoes at Agnew Surpass for ( if I recall correctly ) $1.30/hr - in 1970. I think art school tuition the next year was about $ 400/yr plus the cost of art supplies.

This is a great thread, thanks for those pictures! I can't say these pictures bring back memories as I wasn't even born yet :)

That Wimpy's = the Wimpy's of today?

I too remember when Kmart was at Bayview Village with that 2nd level parking area which was difficult to manuver in as it was so tiny. Also the 'Sunkist' restaurant I think it was? I always thought it was a small grocery store that sold only fruits.

It was a McDonalds. You can see the cut arches. Someone once told me it it was the first McDonalds in either North York or Toronto. Now it was before my time so I can't say if that was correct.

And it was probably the first *defrocked* McDonalds in Toronto as well.

Love those days of the big rooftop CIBC signs. (Likewise the TD signs with the big orb atop a cone...)

Scotiabank really ruined that corner location's architecture with the makeover. It's such a TTC-style makeover. Destroy a clean and elegant postwar design in favour of a louder but cheaply conceived look. It's like they even took inspiration for the Pape redesign's walls from that fake stone.

they didn't change that much, only the facade of the building.

Yeah, that's real "it's only a flesh wound" logic, alright.

Still, I agree that the old bank wasn't any hot tuna, "clean and elegant" as it may have been; it's only if that look survived up to now that it'd be worth cherishing...

In the photos at least, the old one looked better. Gone are the subtle colours, brickwork, and that coat of arms on the facade. It's hardly a big loss, but the generic corporate look of stucco and big red paneling is no improvement compared to the original design. I suppose it shouldn't be compared to the TTC, as the loss of heritage station design elements is far more serious than the redesign of some one storey bank in northern Toronto, but nonetheless it did remind me of that situation.

loved that pic of the rush hour looking south on Yonge, with Minto Midtown and FCP through the haze in the distance! Megacity Toronto at it best (or atleast biggest)

Back