1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Year end questions - buildings

A

Archivistower

Maintaining a database of buildings means that some buildings fall through the cracks. Recently I received some great info about duplicated buildings, etc., on the TOBuilt site, and its inspired me to do a year-end housecleaning, so I have a large number of questions from you knowledgeable sources out there. Here they are. Who will help me?

The Harley - proposed condo by Kirkor on the Harley dealership on Front. Dead? Never really got off the ground?
70 the Esplanade - this was sort of being marketed, but now it seems possibly dead, or is it being reworked?
Gates of Bayview - 2 new towers at this site. Approved, but will it happen?
Dover Square - another addition to an existing site, approved by OMB, but any movement towards this?
York Mills Development - a third "new buildings on grass surrounding existing buildings" type development. Again, I think approved by the OMB, but any word on this?
Hearthstone by the Bay - retirement home in Humber Bay. Isn't this supposed to be under way now?
Fairview Mall Development - a single tower in the parking lot. This is several years old. Delete?
18 York / Fairmont - never gonna happen?
Westport Beach - out in Long Branch - in sales? Dead? U/C?
St. Gabriel Village - u/c now?
88 on broadway - is this completed? Or still u/c?
Sandman Hotel - done or still u/c?
Splendid China Tower - is this done? Is it still 12 storeys? Does it resemble the rendering?
Clairmont - Is this done now?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

"Splendid China Tower - is this done? Is it still 12 storeys? Does it resemble the rendering?"

Phase I is just the conversion of the old Canadian Tire store into a smallish condo-mall development...the actual "tower," what is presumably still a 12 storey hotel + mall, will be built in the future in the parking lot next to it, west/south of it. The phase I mall is udner construction now, almost done, and I think its grand opening is in February.

"St. Gabriel Village - u/c now?"

Yes, as far as I could tell driving by at night a few days ago.

"Fairview Mall Development - a single tower in the parking lot. This is several years old. Delete?"

I haven't seen so much as a "Notice" board for anything like that...Fairview is currently undergoing a major renovation, so who knows what will happen after or by the time it's done.

"York Mills Development - a third "new buildings on grass surrounding existing buildings" type development. Again, I think approved by the OMB, but any word on this?"

If you're describing what I think you are (the York Mills Centre, right?), again, I haven't seen so much as a "Notice" board for it.

I'll try to get some photos of Splendid China Tower phase 1. Tackiest Chinese mall you will ever see!

^ A while ago, I warned y'all about how craptacular it was gonna be...

yes, no , maybe, occasionally, seldom, and when hell freezes over

Hey there AT - I think I can help you with some of these, westenders mostly...

Hearthstone by the Bay - retirement home in Humber Bay. Isn't this supposed to be under way now?

The sales office remains onsite, in my mind at least. I will double check on next drive-by.

Westport Beach - out in Long Branch - in sales? Dead? U/C?

I will check for signage/onsite sales office when I next head out to my sister's place. Soonish.

Sandman Hotel - done or still u/c?

Still under construction. Noticed it on Friday when arriving nearby for the company Christmas lunch. From the looks of it, I'd say a spring opening.

Clairmont - Is this done now?

Saw this last week. Still u/c, and it looks like a few more months to go before occupation by the well-off but not-too-discriminating.

found some time

Harley is dead - some sort of 'boutique' chain hotel is taking its place

might be worthwhile to categorize the rental /commercial proposals under a different heading - doubt they are dead but it may take years for the economic conditions to present themselves for these to start construction (not that I know they haven't already)

AFAIK, Westport Beach is still alive - the website has issues but the phone number still connects to a living person

88 on Broadway is months away from completion

What is the Sandman Hotel? Where is it located? Is there a rendering?

The Sandman Hotel is being built at the end of Reading Court, which is just north of Dixon Road, and west of Highway 27. It'll be another Airport Hotel.

...which leads me to ponder aloud the fate of another airport area hotel, the huge Regal Constellation. That thing's been shut since shortly after 9/11. What's to become of it I wonder?

Thanks for the help. Perhaps I could have a status of dormant for buildings that have approval but aren't likely to get built? I guess poor old Main Square would fall into that category as well.

The Regal-Constellation is currently used for movie shots and the odd police training. Still, I'm sure this can't be sustained forever and its days may be numbered unless a chain steps in and takes it over.

^and parking

I think its future is quite safe given the area and demolition costs

Darkstar (or anyone): What exactly is wrong with the property? I know it's an older structure, but older buildings than this one have been reno'd and reopened. I would have tended to agree with mark that given its location, it should be viable.

I don't think anything is wrong with the property. Just that the market is a little soft and that it's a huge complex (the biggest on the airport strip). Therefore, it'll take a deep pocketed chain to reinvest and relaunch the hotel.

Back