News   Apr 23, 2024
 371     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

What do you call someone from...?

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
A person from Toronto is known as a Torontonian, but there are some other other places that I wonder what their citizens are known as. What do you call someone from: Pickering, Vaughan, Markham, Belleville, Windsor, Welland, Coboug, Tecumseh

For many large cities, the Wikipedia article includes the Demonym for that city in the info box at the top-right of the page. According to it, someone from Vancouver is a Vancouverite.

How about the -boroughs (Peter and Scar)? I regularly use "Scarberian", and it seems to be accepted, but I'm not sure if it's a correct form or just something people say

It's actually more a derivative of the derogative term "Scarberia". (Maybe "Scarboroughan", or something, might be more proper--don't know what people from the Yorkshire namesake call themselves.)

^Scarlem has always been a favourite of mine, but I'm from Scarborough, and I term myself a Scarberian.

Someone from Pickering is a "Pickeringite" and that's straight from the mayor's mouth. A relative of mine moved out there and e-mailed the mayor to find out and that was his response.

How about the -boroughs (Peter and Scar)? I regularly use "Scarberian", and it seems to be accepted, but I'm not sure if it's a correct form or just something people say
The demonym of a -borough would be a -borian, eg, Peterborian, Scarborian.

i think Niagara might have some of the hardest to define simply because there are some awkward city names plus a bunch of multi-word cities.
St Catharines = St Kittsman
Niagara-on-the-lake = Niagara-on-the-laker?
Port Colborne = Port Colborner
Fort Erie = Fort Erian? (awfully close to being pronounced Fort Aryan...)
Niagara Falls = ?

Though generic "Niagaran" works (even if it looks a little too much like "Nigerian")

There's the small town of Wainfleet, and I've only ever heard Fleeter as a demonym.

Back