News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 988     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Waterfront: Jarvis Slip Public Space Design Competition

I don't like west8's proposal as it involves draining the water from the slip - exposing the plywood underneath.

They can make it as funky as they want but I still doubt you'll get many people down there in the winter.

Why not build a small outdoor ice rink to get people down there in the winter? I know there's the Harbourfront rink, but it's always so crowded and I think waterfront needs another outdoor rink and more winter activity. Just a thought.

I don't like west8's proposal as it involves draining the water from the slip - exposing the plywood underneath.

There will be problems with deteriorated plywood that will need replacing, and the expensive foam-like cladding of everything in area will prove controversial, but all in all it's the best direction to move in ;) .

I find the lack of trees and large wide open space on the JR proposal makes it look really empty. It provides no shelter in winter and I really don't see the draw besides the chairs right near the waters edge. I would go to the CC design for the beach, a would be able to take a walk on the W8+D design with its shelter providing a more intimate setting, but JR is a wide open stone/concrete space with a feature that looks like it was added after the rest of the square as it really doesn't seem to tie in and looks a bit like a backstop fence. Also, the CC and W8+D both tie in the diagonal view and building envelope into their design making the whole look cohesive from the small park north of Queens Quay to the waterfront.

I definately think JR"s design could add some more trees and better group some of its elements, but I think the basic idea is there. I hate the beach concept for here, there are all kinds of natural beaches to the east, and this does nothing for winter interest. I also really dislike West 8's approach. It feels creepy and overgrown with trees, and there is no 'there' there, no public 'space'. And again, no winter interest. JR's design definately needs some work but I think the concept will work well as an urban space on the waterfront, and I think the so-called billboard will be far more interesting in reality with its reflective pool and when it functions with changing lights and mists etc.

not sure what this means. :confused:

TORONTO, Jan. 30 /CNW/ - The Toronto Economic Development Corporation
(TEDCO) announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Redpath
Sugar Ltd. to end its lease of TEDCO property at 125 Queen's Quay Blvd. East.
Redpath originally had a lease to use the land next door to the sugar factory
until 2021 but agreed to give up parking rights which would otherwise impede
planned redevelopment of the site.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2008/30/c5553.html

is that the actual slip? as in where they park that ship? it's probably so that they can build the new west8 slip thing

The sugar company has been renting from TEDCO or the City the land for parking purposes that is becoming the parkette at Jarvis Slip and a portion of the waters edge.

The press release is on the newswire and seems to be one of many transactions by TEDCO to eliminate obstacles to revitalization. They also did a deal to move Essroc off of Cherry Street (out of the way of the future crossing into the Port lands).

There is also an older press release about TEDCO buying a key parcel of land from CP Express on Commissioners Street, which is to become part of Commissioners Park/Green Corridor.

...and yet the Redpath plant will, inexplicably, remain. What a strange anachronism that thing is. I'm trying to view it as a plus, not a minus for the waterfront--a nod to industrial heritage, perhaps, but damn is it ever ugly!

allabootmatt:

re: Redpath - It would make for a very interesting Toronto Museum site though, probably even more so than the Canada Malting Silos out on Bathurst.

I am far more concerned about the way Pier 27 interfaces with Redpath.

AoD

From the Globe Real Estate Section, by John Bentley Mays:

URBAN PLANNING
A rectangle of land across from a sugar refinery invites some creative design from a diverse group

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

From Friday's Globe and Mail
February 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM EST

Inch by inch, the $17-billion renovation of Toronto's industrial harbour lands continues to roll forward. The process has been painfully slow so far, and nothing seems to happen for long stretches of time. People get understandably frustrated, and are tempted to give up on the whole drawn-out business.

Then something does happen. We are abruptly reminded of just how marvellous this vast project really is, and what outstanding minds are at work on Hogtown's harbourfront renewal.

Such an event took place last week at Metro Hall, where Waterfront Toronto, the public agency in charge of the whole undertaking, presented to an overflow audience the three competing schemes for a tiny swatch of the 800-hectare tract slated for overhaul. But if the area under development is small — it's a half-hectare rectangle of land adjacent to the Jarvis Slip, across from the water from the Redpath sugar factory — it has attracted the attention of large imaginations in the field of Canadian and international landscape design: the Montreal-based firm of Claude Cormier Landscape Architects, Toronto's Janet Rosenberg and Associates, and a partnership of the Dutch firm West 8 and the Toronto office of du Toit Allsopp Hillier (DTAH).

At stake in this competition is the nature of public space in the immense residential and commercial complex planned by Waterfront Toronto for the east bayfront. Thousands of people will live and work there some day. Thousands of other Torontonians will want to relax and stroll along that stretch of the water's edge. What will welcome them when they decide to spend an afternoon at the Jarvis Slip?

Each of the three answers to that question is distinctive, very Canadian, and different from the others. I'll take each one in turn.

The proposal by Claude Cormier, entitled Sugar Beach, takes its cues from the sugar mill across the way, and from the beach resorts that Ontarians flock to in the summer. The overall sense of the project — the opportunities it provides for sociable promenading, and enjoying the open air on a sunny afternoon — has been suggested, however, by French painter Georges Seurat's Bathing at Asnières and his famous Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

The place makes provision for the genteel pleasures depicted in Seurat's pictures, not rough sports. The beach beside the slip, for example, is for relaxation within a stone's throw of both new housing and the splendid old factory, the last remnant of the industries that once crowded Toronto's waterfront. A small stand of silver maple trees shelters a walkway between the beach and an amphitheatre fashioned from boulders that recall the landscape of cottage country.

Mr. Cormier's scheme seems best suited for the Torontonian who wants to get away from the hubbub of city life, but not too far: The attractive industrial setting of Sugar Beach offers an interesting combination of heavy-duty urbanity and sunshine sparkling on the water.

For their part, West 8 and DTAH have suggested an eccentric, more lively treatment for the Jarvis Slip. Their vision includes an interactive sculpture composed of two jointed, hydraulic 28-metre fingers modelled on the Canadian-designed and built Canadarm. These mobile structures will variously twist, bend, clutch and lunge in response to the movements of people around the site. (In his presentation, West 8's Adriaan Geuze said these features are technically proven and feasible, even in our inclement climate.)

Continually in motion, the arms would recall the cranes and other large mechanical devices that once operated across the waterfront, and vividly animate what will otherwise be a fixed cityscape of harbourside buildings. I don't know if I buy Mr. Geuze's idea for the site, but it is certainly a novel and provocative way to mark the place as a zone of urban delight.

The themes imbedded in the plans of both Claude Cormier and West 8/DTAH are summery, light, entertaining. Landscape architect Janet Rosenberg's Weatherfront could hardly be more different. In her project, Ms. Rosenberg engages directly the most daunting fact of our northerly environment — the weather — in all its moods and volatile moments, and makes the Jarvis Slip a site of celebration about what many people find the most difficult thing about living here.

The focus of her ambitious proposal is a sculpture by California environmental artist Ned Kahn. Mr. Kahn's large screen — composed of many small, hinged chips of gleaming metal — is designed to respond continually to the winds that whip the waterfront, shimmering and rippling as the air sweeps over it. Light reflected from the screen scatters over granite paving stones arrayed across the site. The weather motif continues in the grid of the pavement itself, with light-emitting diodes imbedded in the stones that change colour as the air temperature changes.

While we wouldn't want it to be any busier, Ms. Rosenberg's plan stands out in its call for a place for all seasons, an engaging destination for those of us who like to walk by the water even on the most rugged days of winter.

AoD

Attention News Editors:

Waterfront Toronto announces winner of Jarvis Slip Design Competition
Jury selects "Sugar Beach"

TORONTO, Feb. 1 /CNW/ - Waterfront Toronto, joined by its government
partners, today announced that a team led by Claude Cormier Architectes
Paysagistes Inc. is the winner of the Jarvis Slip Public Space Design
Competition. The design competition was held to produce an innovative design
and to bring a fresh, new perspective to the one-acre site at the foot of
Lower Jarvis Street.
"We value the commitment and design standards set by all three teams and
their understanding of this vital piece of public space on Toronto's
waterfront," said Waterfront Toronto Chair Mark Wilson. "We look forward to
working with Claude Cormier Architectes Paysagistes Inc. in animating this
very important public amenity."
The jury unanimously selected the Claude Cormier team's design "Sugar
Beach" as the winning submission. "The jury appreciated the big idea approach
for the design of Jarvis Slip with its connectivity and integration to the
central waterfront promenade design, and the proposal for the establishment of
a larger greater system of beach designs throughout Toronto's waterfront"
stated Siamak Hariri of Hariri Pontarini Architects, and Chair of the jury.
The winning design successfully created three distinct spaces, a public
plaza, a promenade, and a sand beach along the dock wall. Sugar Beach is the
second urban beach proposed for Toronto's downtown waterfront, following the
first very successful HtO Park. The conceptual reference for Sugar Beach is
based on the industrial heritage of the adjacent Redpath Sugar Refinery, just
west of the site. The jury agreed that the design had a confidence, a purity
and a playfulness that would make "Sugar Beach" a favourite destination.
Other members of the jury included architects Peter Clewes,
Lisa Rapoport, and landscape architect Greg Smallenberg.
"Our Government understands that Torontonians want to see real progress
in the revival of their waterfront and we're proud to be a partner in this
remarkable transformation," said Senator Michael Meighen on behalf of Canada's
Environment Minister John Baird. "I want to congratulate the winning firm for
designing a welcoming public space on Toronto's waterfront that will encourage
Canadians to enjoy the water's edge. By investing in the revitalization of
Toronto's waterfront we are not only supporting the downtown economy but also
the Canadians who work and live here."
Waterfront renewal is being led with the creation of parks and public
spaces. Jarvis Slip Public Space will be among five major parks and public
spaces in the revitalized East Bayfront community. This site will be a key
component in Toronto's network of world renowned waterfront public spaces.
"We have emerged with an incredible design that will be a defining
feature on our waterfront for generations to come," said Public Infrastructure
Renewal Minister David Caplan. "Claude Cormier's outstanding design for the
Jarvis Street Slip is another example of the tremendous progress we're making
to transform the Toronto's waterfront into a more people-friendly part of the
city."
The jury felt that the Claude Cormier "Sugar Beach" team best addressed
the competition's key objective of providing a signature urban public space
that will anchor the new East Bayfront community.
The other members of the Sugar Beach design team include David Leinster
of the Planning Partnership and Beth Kapusta, both of Toronto, as well as
lighting designer Leni Schwendinger of New York.
"On behalf of the City, I would like to congratulate Claude Cormier
Architectes Paysagistes Inc.," said Mayor David Miller. "All three competitors
have experience in revitalizing Toronto's waterfront and all of them represent
the kind of brilliant thinking and imagination that will make Toronto's
waterfront a place truly for people. I want to thank them all for their
dedication to this challenge."
The additional teams participating in the design competition were
Janet Rosenberg + Associates and West 8 + DTAH.
In addition to providing a public gathering space for the future East
Bayfront community, the Jarvis Slip Public Space will also serve as forecourt
to the adjacent First Waterfront Place, which will be the home of Corus
Entertainment.
"Corus Entertainment is proud to be an active participant in the
transformation of the Toronto waterfront," said John Cassaday, President and
CEO, Corus Entertainment Inc. "We congratulate Claude Cormier's Sugar Beach
team on their well-deserved selection and look forward to working with them in
making our city's waterfront a vibrant, thriving community."
Construction of this $4M project is scheduled to begin in the spring of
2009 and to be complete in 2010.

The federal, provincial and city governments established Waterfront
Toronto to oversee and lead the renewal of Toronto's central waterfront.
Waterfront Toronto currently has a number of major waterfront projects
underway in the West Don Lands, East Bayfront and Central Waterfront.

Back