715     0 

Vladimir Putin's Russian Federation

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Minsk and Moscow: Dependency has its price

By Mikhail Bushuev, Alexandra Boguslavskaya

Russia and Belarus are on the cusp of signing an integration agreement. Yet Minsk fears a further loss of independence and has proposed conditions important to its survival.

Russia and Belarus could sign an integration treaty as early as this weekend, a possibility that Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko noted just days ago. Yet, it is unclear what exactly is in the treaty text. Russian media outlets have claimed to have copies of it and suggest the deal would be less of a political nature, dealing instead with fundamental economic and social integration between the two countries — issues such as a common tax system and civil law codes.

47502843_101.jpg

I honestly wonder who will take Putin's place once he's gone.

Modern Russia's global presence is almost defined by him.

German defense minister calls out Russia after Berlin murder

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has said the murder of a Georgian activist earlier this year was straining relations between Berlin and Moscow. She urged the Kremlin to step-up their efforts to support German investigators.

Russia doping: Athletes wait in fear of fresh world ban

By Sarah Rainsford BBC News, Moscow
  • 8 December 2019
Russia has become the master of denial in recent years. From military incursions to hacking to assassinations, the Kremlin has sworn blind it's not involved.

Putin, Zelenskiy set to face off in Paris

By Roman Goncharenko

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is under immense pressure ahead of Monday's summit with Vladimir Putin in Paris. Zelenskiy wants peace — but any concessions could spark an outcry at home.

Ukraine: Rally over fears of capitulation to Russia at Paris summit

Thousands took to the streets of Kyiv demanding that President Volodymyr Zelenskiy remains firm ahead of a meeting with Russia's Vladimir Putin. The pair are set to attend a Paris summit on the Donbass conflict.

I honestly wonder who will take Putin's place once he's gone.

This is going to be a bit scary.

One of my best friends is from Russia and he tells me it's going to be quite the shitshow...which I already knew, having read a recent biography of the man.

It's not going to be pretty.

Russia banned from Tokyo Olympics and football World Cup
  • Wada delivers four-year ban for doping offences
  • Individual athletes will still be allowed to compete
Paul MacInnes
Mon 9 Dec 2019 10.41 GMT

Russia banned from Tokyo Olympics and football World Cup
  • Wada delivers four-year ban for doping offences
  • Individual athletes will still be allowed to compete
Paul MacInnes
Mon 9 Dec 2019 10.41 GMT

dafuuuuuq....the WC?!?!?!

?

I had never heard of any problems with their athletes in football. What is this?

dafuuuuuq....the WC?!?!?!

?

I had never heard of any problems with their athletes in football. What is this?

Although not a banned substance, there were reports that Russian players sniffed ammonia during the previous WC.

While ammonia is not classed as a prohibited substance in international anti-doping regulations, it is known to help improve athletic performance, by stimulating breathing and improving the flow of oxygen in the blood. "The Russian Federation acted as if it were something as common as using shampoo in the shower," states the Süddeutsche Zeitung article.

Süddeutsche Zeitung was not the only German media outlet to link Russian players with the use of ammonia. Tabloid newspaper Bild claimed that images broadcast by German public television of Russian players rubbing their noses during the quarter final game against Croatia suggested that they were using the performing-enhancing substance.

Another strange story, a National Team player was accused of taking a HGH by his own father. Although he was later cleared of those charges.

hahaha, ammonia isn't banned, if they want to huff that shit, give 'er.

The World Cup ban is bizarre and unnecessary, if anyone cares to hear my opinion which is freely and liberally given with or without anyone's request. ;)

Putin just won another term as President, but has to sit it out next time. Of course, we know he won't. Remember that he once served as a shadow President while officially in the PM role. I figure he will bully the Duma to alter the constitution or just do the "President for life" thing.

Looks like the Russian National Anthem is banned from the Tokyo Olympics and the Qatar World Cup.

Fans of athletes from Russia have to settle for this:

It just happens to sound similar to the Russian National Anthem:

Yes, the Russian National Anthem uses the same music as the Soviet anthem (but different lyrics).

Vladimir Putin calls Georgian murdered in Berlin a 'bandit

Vladimir Putin has called a Georgian man murdered in Berlin a "bandit," saying Moscow's requests to extradite him weren't heeded. Berlin says there's evidence Russia is behind the killing, but Putin denied involvement.

I get it, I think. Putin’s a serial liar who sometimes orders the murder or imprisonment of his opponents, has vastly enriched himself at the expense of the state, has grabbed back bits of the old Soviet Union de jure (Crimea) or de facto (eastern Ukraine), and is an implacable opponent of NATO expansion close to Russia’s border and US involvement in the Middle East. He’s not even close to great. Nevertheless, I have a hard time understanding when the average Russian citizen has ever been more secure, free or prosperous. We can write off the Soviet period from 1917 to 1989, unless our name is Jeremy Corbyn or that Marxist Alberta academic nutbar who denies the Holodomor ever happened. Ditto the entire period before 1861 unless we think serfdom was a good idea. And the post-serfdom/pre-Soviet era wasn’t exactly a time of brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. I mean, this was a territory that was invaded by the Mongols in the 1200’s, parts of which in the twentieth century were described as the Bloodlands by an eminent US historian. So, Putin’s regime, sure, not Switzerland and certainly an aspiring strategic competitor to the US. But the US foreign policy establishment might at least take the time view them with a little historical context and understanding before simply launching Cold War II. As for Canada, I understand sanctimonious moralizing to other countries is our plat du jour - Dean Acheson called us the stern daughter of the voice of God years ago with good reason. One could argue that nothing a Canadian government says matters or even registers beyond our borders. Nevertheless, we might want a foreign minister somewhat less involved in Ukraine’s national cause and somewhat more circumspect about fairly complex issues with no direct bearing on our own interests. And all of us might remember that few countries are as if a blank sheet of paper.

Back