News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 971     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Windows like that are usually for emergency ventilation. Most systems have them now and require some sort of 'emergency lever' being pulled before they can be opened.

I hope they refine the design of the LED map.. it looks horrid. We should just do what they did on the R160s in NYC and have LCD strip maps, adjacent to geographic maps, because they already appear to be trying to do that on the left hand side (sans LCD). Either that or just organize it better.

img_74812.jpg

The subway in Santiago Chile has the same windows too. I don't know if the trains were air conditioned or not as it wasn't too hot when I was there. People were opening and closing them at will though.

I really like the interior design; I'm hoping that they reduce the number of days that they run the A/C by using those openable windows as much as possible. At the same time, I hope that when they do operate the A/C that the windows remain locked and shut. One thing I hate is how careless bus passengers leave the windows open at the back of Orion VIIs on a hot July day when the driver has the A/C cranked.

to me the TTC is putting these on the main line, as they much more room to stand...

I really don't like those curved poles - it'll be that much more difficult to reach them when standing in the middle of the train.

holy talk about off the shelf, that looks exactly like hk's from like what.. over a decade ago? LOL wish we had gotten something better than that..

but i guess it's a huge improvement over the current trains

I really don't like those curved poles - it'll be that much more difficult to reach them when standing in the middle of the train.

Which is the exact behaviour they're trying to prevent: people blocking the middle of the train like you just described.

The curve will encourage people to get closer to the seats and free the middle aisle. Since the entire train will be open end to end, the best place to allow people to pass is down the center. Once the train begins to fill, the middle will then be occupied by people holding the handles from above.

Level of comfort hierarchy
1) Sitting – Comfortable
2) Standing with arm in front (holding a bar) – Less Comfortable
3) Standing with arm raised (holding a handle) – Least Comfortable

That so happens to be the exact order of the most unobtrusive and efficient way to populate a subway car.

New TTC Trains

The last time I was on the TTC, I did'nt think the trains needed replacing. Our trains still operate well although the costs of operating are probably escalating year over year.

The last time I was on the TTC, I did'nt think the trains needed replacing. Our trains still operate well although the costs of operating are probably escalating year over year.

How old was the train that you were on? The TTC uses subway cars that range between 6 and 34 years old.

Which is the exact behaviour they're trying to prevent: people blocking the middle of the train like you just described.

The curve will encourage people to get closer to the seats and free the middle aisle. Since the entire train will be open end to end, the best place to allow people to pass is down the center. Once the train begins to fill, the middle will then be occupied by people holding the handles from above.

Level of comfort hierarchy
1) Sitting – Comfortable
2) Standing with arm in front (holding a bar) – Less Comfortable
3) Standing with arm raised (holding a handle) – Least Comfortable

That so happens to be the exact order of the most unobtrusive and efficient way to populate a subway car.

Seems you've never taken the subway in Toronto...you really think people won't be in the middle of the train? That people won't lean against poles or have bags/strollers/luggage, both preventing people from getting closer to the sides?

A huge number of TTC riders - perhaps the average rider, even - won't be able to comfortably hold on to the handles.

That is absolutely what happens now. Some new features in this new car seek to prevent that.

Try standing in the middle of that line and holding on to a bar:
img_3774.jpg

Most likely, you won't be able to. I have long arms and I sure can't. What naturally happens? You move closer to the pole which leads you to move away from the center leaving space in the middle of the train for people circulation.

I'm not saying people are not going to stand in the middle. The odds are, they won't want to.

Why do people stand in the middle now? Because they can. They can reach for a pole and still stand near the middle. That's undesirable because it prevents people from circulating easily through the train. You can't depend on people having courtesy and unfortunately many subway riders don't.

A huge number of TTC riders - perhaps the average rider, even - won't be able to comfortably hold on to the handles.

I think you're missing the point. These new features intend to discourage people from standing in the middle. It's the least comfortable so it is there as the final space to stand when there aren't any more seats or standing room near the seats.

^ I'm obviously not talking about people standing in the literal middle of the train where few people are as you can't reach the poles, anyway. Those curved poles make it more difficult to hold on for all standees.

^ I'm obviously not talking about people standing in the literal middle of the train where few people are as you can't reach the poles, anyway. Those curved poles make it more difficult to hold on for all standees.

How does it make it difficult?

Back