1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

TTC signage mess

J

jozl

The following website was originally posted in 1999 but it's still relevant today.
joeclark.org/design/signa...urTTC.html

While I was in London a while ago I was once again impressed with the strong identity of the London Underground. The famous "Underground" signs are so iconic and they are such good navigational markers that it's hard to imagine London without them. The transit systems' signs and graphics act as orientation points in an otherwise impossibly complex system of streets. It's as if the transit system has an important secondary function as a unifying graphic structure. It's like a free bi product achieved through distinctive and consistent signage. This applies to cities like Paris New York and to a lesser extent Boston as well.

Then there's Toronto's mess. We actually have a beautiful font that was created for the subway when it opened in the 1950's and is present on the walls of our older subway stations. It's like a hybrid of Futura and Gill Sans fonts. I think it's beautiful but it was abandoned long ago and replaced with a Hodgepodge of disparate signs and fonts that have buried the TTC's fledgling identity.

Well there is hope. Adam Giambrone the new TTC chair is a bright young ambitious guy who's well aware of the TTC's shortcomings and would like to shake things up. I for one will be writing to him about the TTC's confused branding and will also suggest that perhaps a new TTC logo be incorporated into a resuscitated identity. I know, I know, too expensive.

I think Paul Arthur's pictogram system, introduced at St George station and then dropped, was a classic example of overdesigning something rather than making it simpler.

I like the TTC font. It seems to be getting used more now, so that's good.

The TransitCity.ca website uses the TTC font very extensively. So extensively, in fact, that I thought it looked more like a TTC fan site than a TTC official site!

Also (perhaps for the first time in history) the TransitCity site features a lower-case version of the TTC font (something I had predicted in the thread on the Opera House subway sign).

routes.jpg

And the buttons remind me very much of the Spacing buttons. It looked a lot like an unofficial fan site, except that this was the real deal.

and will also suggest that perhaps a new TTC logo be incorporated into a resuscitated identity.
No. *Don't* ditch the ribbon.

If anything, reintroduce the red + cream livery, instead...

I for one will be writing to him about the TTC's confused branding and will also suggest that perhaps a new TTC logo be incorporated into a resuscitated identity. I know, I know, too expensive.

No new modern zippy TTC logos, please. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"Also (perhaps for the first time in history) the TransitCity site features a lower-case version of the TTC font (something I had predicted in the thread on the Opera House subway sign)."

Doesn't Spadina station use the lowercase font? Maybe I'm just crazy

Back