News   Apr 19, 2024
 844     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 656     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Sheppard west extension would help alleviate some of the pressure on the Yonge line. Passengers travelling to the west side of the city will have the option to transfer at Sheppard instead of Bloor.

Sheppard West will be useful for some trips, for example from the north-east to York U, or to places in the west along Lawrence, Wilson, Sheppard etc.

But it will not be of much help for the Yonge line where it matters most: Eglinton to Union. The Spadina branch is 4 km from Yonge at Sheppard, but just about 1 km at University. It does not make sense to go a big detour just to take the Spadina branch into downtown.

Furthermore, the Spadina branch gets very busy south of St George.

Sheppard west extension would help alleviate some of the pressure on the Yonge line. Passengers travelling to the west side of the city will have the option to transfer at Sheppard instead of Bloor.
No, it will not as the ridership is on the Yonge line with new ridership from either side of the line adding more pressure on it. All you are doing is moving riders from one point to another that are still going in the same direction

Line 2 will feed more ridership at the Yonge station with the bulk going south than north.

If the OL gets extended to Finch or Steeles, it will take a lot of ridership off Line 1 that is currently feeding it, but it will be replace by other new riders closer to Line 1.

I went for a drive to see where the new stations would be. I never realized where the McCowen station would be. It is right next to the CP line and Agincourt yard. As I understand it, this is where the planned Via HFR/HSR route is slated to go.Could we see this become an intermodal with Via? Could we see GO running this as well?Has anything on that been released

I never realized where the McCowen station would be. It is right next to the CP line and Agincourt yard.

By "right next to" you mean half a kilometre away at the closest point (which is not the bulk of the yard) and in a completely different axial orientation.

As I understand it, this is where the planned Via HFR/HSR route is slated to go.Could we see this become an intermodal with Via? Could we see GO running this as well?Has anything on that been released

Anything that has been rumoured in the past suggests Eglinton GO or Kennedy GO. McCowan really wouldn't make sense for the most ridership. Inside the 416, that station needs to be closer to busier corridors and denser areas. North Scarborough ain't it.

By "right next to" you mean half a kilometre away at the closest point (which is not the bulk of the yard) and in a completely different axial orientation.
It's 450 metres from Sheppard itself to the tracks. But as far as I know, none of the station box for Sheppard East station (all 3 new stations are on McCowan) is south of Sheppard. With only about 275 metres from the north end of the station box, to the most southerly tracks. Though perhaps the box has moved since I've worked on the project.

The north entrance to the station is at the SE corner of Nugget and McCowan. Only about 175 metres from the tracks - although those are the CP mainline tracks to Oshawa, with the overpass being 50 metres wide!

Anything that has been rumoured in the past suggests Eglinton GO or Kennedy GO. McCowan really wouldn't make sense for the most ridership. Inside the 416, that station needs to be closer to busier corridors and denser areas. North Scarborough ain't it.
That would require them to go up the Stouffville line. Which I don't think is on the table any more. Which does make a station at Sheppard East more attractive.

The challenge would be how to fit it in, with the CP mainline right there, and the tracks to Peterborough being on the north side of the 9 tracks on the overpass over McCowan. But if there's a will, there's a way.

Of course, this all assumes that the HFR travesty will ever happen. But that's a question for the various threads on that subject - which seem to have become unreadable with the constant digressions about irrelevant topics.

I was thinking it might due to the fact that if Sheppard line is ever extended, it would come here. So this would be a meeting of 2 lines.

It's 450 metres from Sheppard itself to the tracks. But as far as I know, none of the station box for Sheppard East station (all 3 new stations are on McCowan) is south of Sheppard. With only about 275 metres from the north end of the station box, to the most southerly tracks. Though perhaps the box has moved since I've worked on the project.

The north entrance to the station is at the SE corner of Nugget and McCowan. Only about 175 metres from the tracks - although those are the CP mainline tracks to Oshawa, with the overpass being 50 metres wide!

That would require them to go up the Stouffville line. Which I don't think is on the table any more. Which does make a station at Sheppard East more attractive.

The challenge would be how to fit it in, with the CP mainline right there, and the tracks to Peterborough being on the north side of the 9 tracks on the overpass over McCowan. But if there's a will, there's a way.

Of course, this all assumes that the HFR travesty will ever happen. But that's a question for the various threads on that subject - which seem to have become unreadable with the constant digressions about irrelevant topics.

Sounds like there are a lot of challenges. First one being the routing of Via's HFR. Or even it being funded. 175-225m is not an onerous walk, even with luggage.

Not sure if there's a Scarbrough RT legacy thread or if this one is okay to post content like this. cc @Northern Light

Back