News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 534     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

TTC: Electric and alternative fuel buses

Do you really think Volvo wouldnt let Novabus go out of business? If it means preserving profit and cash flow they'll axe NovaBus and wont even think about it twice. They've greatly reduced their bus manufacturing business in Europe, and they've already withdrawn from the U.S market entirely.

It's more that the Quebec government wont let them go out of business until they've injected enough money into them and see that it wont be enough to save them.

Well this would be a very interesting turn of events. If they do expand to the North American market (which is something I hope happens), it will be interesting to see if they can gain significant market share (unlike the various past ventures we've seen from the likes of Alexander Dennis, Van Hool, BYD to name a few).
If Nova bus went under, that would leave only New flyer which would create a monopoly in the Canadian market. Not going to happen.

If Nova bus went under, that would leave only New flyer which would create a monopoly in the Canadian market. Not going to happen.
Again, if Volvo chooses they can close up shop there's nothing stopping or preventing them from doing so. There are other players out there who may choose to expand into the market should NovaBus close up shop.

Just an FYI New Flyer already has a partial monopoly on some product offerings in any case.

Im willing to bet that Nova won't go under.
If I remember correctly, Newflyer had a similar issue in the mid 1980s were the province of Mainitoba bought Newflyer for a good chunk of shares or bought them outright until another company came in to buy it. I expect the same to happen with Nova and the province of Quebec.
Nova does have a good chunk of orders for Ebuses, so for the next couple years I expect them to be alright.
The only area that might concern me is their move to no longer offer Diesel buses, which I think might be a bit premature. But what do I know.

It will be interesting to see where this new company sets up a facility. But I would assume the West Coast considering that's their start in the industry. I'm sure TTC is fully in tune with the bus market and this new player coming in.

There is Gillig from California that could enter the Canadian market since they supply buses of all sizes and types right across the US and the second largest in the US.

BYD has yet to make a dent in the US market and we have seen how well they have been with TTC so far.

Someone else from Europe could take over NovaBus plants with hopes they will do better than the last ones in NA who disappeared due to poor products. Ask TTC about the first artic's they go from a European supplier.

You got Vicinity Motor Corp in BC who makes the 30' buses that could expand if good funding backing from all levels can be had as welling to do so.

Do you really think Volvo wouldnt let Novabus go out of business? If it means preserving profit and cash flow they'll axe NovaBus and wont even think about it twice. They've greatly reduced their bus manufacturing business in Europe, and they've already withdrawn from the U.S market entirely.

It's more that the Quebec government wont let them go out of business until they've injected enough money into them and see that it wont be enough to save them.

Well this would be a very interesting turn of events. If they do expand to the North American market (which is something I hope happens), it will be interesting to see if they can gain significant market share (unlike the various past ventures we've seen from the likes of Alexander Dennis, Van Hool, BYD to name a few).
Alexander Dennis is owned by New Flyer these days. Their single deck buses will never hit the North American market.

The bus market is so volatile, it's very difficult for new players to join. It would be ideal if everyone bought in small batches but everyone wants to make large batch orders and not order again within a few years. TTC planned to have a regular delivery of 100 or so buses every year back before COVID and what is happening how? Hunting down money to make the next big batch order.

If Volvo wants out of the Canadian bus market, maybe they should sell their Canadian operation to a trusted Cdn name in Transportation with prior experience in bus manufacturing ;)

1710617085532.png

If Volvo wants out of the Canadian bus market, maybe they should sell their Canadian operation to a trusted Cdn name in Transportation with prior experience in bus manufacturing ;)

View attachment 548758
I'm sure that Nova bus is still around thanks to investment and engineering help from Volvo. Without it it would just be a Quebec crown corporation that will get provincial orders by default.

I'm sure that Nova bus is still around thanks to investment and engineering help from Volvo. Without it it would just be a Quebec crown corporation that will get provincial orders by default.
Isn't that being done now as well in the past??

Back