662     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I am excited for the Eglinton and Finch LRTs but I can't say I was a massive fan of Transit City. Ignoring subways entirely just felt like stubbornly sticking to an ideology, rather than doing what's needed. Also I thought the Sheppard forced transfer idea was terrible. I can't believe Miller still insists the Ontario Line isn't necessary.

I'm actually quite happy with the outcome of Transit City, minus the Scarborough LRT outcome. We got the best parts of it. The Waterfront LRT portion will be a streetcar upgrade, which makes way more sense imo, the Don Mills LRT will be a subway Line, which it needed to be, and the Sheppard subway will stay a subway. They can build Jane LRT if they want at some point I really couldnt care much about that one.

I'm actually quite happy with the outcome of Transit City, minus the Scarborough LRT outcome. We got the best parts of it. The Waterfront LRT portion will be a streetcar upgrade, which makes way more sense imo, the Don Mills LRT will be a subway Line, which it needed to be, and the Sheppard subway will stay a subway. They can build Jane LRT if they want at some point I really couldnt care much about that one.
Such a shame the eastern part of crosstown wasn't elevated - especially when they will run a parallel local bus service anyways.

The problem with Eglinton is that the City never decided whether it wanted rapid transit or local transit as so they thought they could have both and surprise, surprise, it is not going to work. It hasn't worked anywhere else so why Miller thought it would work in Toronto is anybody's guess.

Now they have a fast and reliable subway connected to a slow and unreliable LRT. As ridership grows, they are going to have to be forced to divide the line in 2 because street running LRT with very limited light priority, no U-Turn routes, no railway barrier crossings, and at the whim of accident prone intersections will simply not be able to provide the frequency of service that the central and western sections of the route will require. They will have to create a seem less transfer point close to roughly Don Mills where the LRT would end and the subway route begins using the same covered platform so whenever an LRT arrives there will be a subway waiting for it 10 meters away.

I don't understand why people are so quick to call the Eglinton line a failure before it even opens.
If Toronto's Transportation Department can remove the obstacles it created to keep the single-occupant autos its #1 priority, it could be fine. It may take some lobbying by the public transit users to make it better.

The automobile lobbyists keep putting up rules, "safety rules", and road designs to favour the auto and not public transit, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Last edited:

Back