Toronto Birch House at Canary Landing | 50.3m | 13s | Dream | Stantec

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Ontario Government has just announced that after the Games a piece of land ("the 2.4-acre site is located at the corner of Front and Cherry streets") at the Pan-Am Village site will be donated for a new Aboriginal Community Health Centre. Details at: http://news.ontario.ca/moi/en/2014/...ginal-health-culture-and-economic-growth.html

This must be the area that is now the temporary car park and where the temporary PAG Welcome Centre will be going.

Isn't it the space around the Canary building?

Perhaps thinking of the LGBT-friendly Rec. centre at the Wheel and Foundry site?

From The National Post
Toronto politicians took on Wednesday a key step toward building the city’s first gay-focused sports and recreation centre.

Only two members of council — Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor James Pasternak — voted against the proposed development by the 519 Church Street Community Centre, expected to cost about $100-million, one-third of which would be funded by the three levels of government.

The 519 has already secured $33-million from an anonymous private donor to turn the Wheel and Foundry site, on Eastern Avenue in the West Don Lands, into a sports centre. The heritage property is owned by the provincial government and near the 2015 Pan American Games Athletes Village, which will later become housing for 11,000 new residents.

Last edited:
Douglas Cardinal has designed some interesting and unique buildings like the Canadian Museum of Civilization. It always surprises me that his work isn't that famous and prolific. I'm happy to see him get a commission in Toronto.

Is this the facility that was originally planned for the East side of Power Street between Richmond & Adelaide (where the dog park is now), until they remembered there are people buried under there and rejected the site?

Douglas Cardinal has designed some interesting and unique buildings like the Canadian Museum of Civilization. It always surprises me that his work isn't that famous and prolific. I'm happy to see him get a commission in Toronto.

+1

That won't be an issue. A Native Canadian designed building will have some colour. It won't be an aA one.

Then why do the vast majority of his projects adhere to the same monochromatic, stacked stone motif / palette? I understand the Native Canadian 'connection' but architecturally, I'd take aA over Cardinal every time.

Well, quitting/getting fired from the aboriginal museum on The Mall in Washington, D.C., and then insisting they take his name off of it didn't do much to enhance his reputation as someone you'd want to hire to design a building.

Is this the facility that was originally planned for the East side of Power Street between Richmond & Adelaide (where the dog park is now), until they remembered there are people buried under there and rejected the site?

Hold up - the dog park is on top of a cemetary?

Excuse the pet peeve, but there r no 'a's in cemetery, nor this sentence, except for the obvious one (plus the one I did without).

What's happening with the old Canary diner building?

I can't believe it's just fenced up and unused right now. I would think that would have been timed with the moving-in of area residents.

Back