Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

As much as I love the architecture, IMO it's the work at street level that is truly stunning. It's amazing how transformative wider, quality sidewalks, greenery and smart street furniture can be for what was essentially a mediocre street. You just know this stretch of Wellington is going to be a street where people will want to be. How I'd love to let these guys loose on Yonge St. and let them work their magic! Oh, I forgot to mention bike lanes. We need more of these, in more places and ideally separated from car traffic(and I don't even own a bike!).

A major downtown Yonge Street re-do is in the near-term offing; however, not by Cormier.

But.....he is the landscape architect associated with Wittington's proposal at Yonge/St. Clair, and you will get to see a drastically upgraded Cormier-Yonge street there, including a new park along the north face of the development.

Looking amazing!

FvFCoBaWYAArV-v

FvFCoBWWcAIlK0B

FvFCoBYWcAMuNyI
FvFCoBVXsAEUnfs

I really like this project. My question is, how could they afford something like this in Toronto?

They got their inspiration from the King's Cross master planned redevelopment in London, UK (check out Coal Drops Yard, etc.) and then you'll see why The Well is just so brilliant.

I do wonder how waterproof the area under the roof with actually be. I know they cant technically connect the roof to the buildings because of code reasons, but how much water/snow will actually end up coming through? If there is a rainstorm will people be mostly covered? It seems like more of an annoyance than anything.

I do wonder how waterproof the area under the roof with actually be. I know they cant technically connect the roof to the buildings because of code reasons, but how much water/snow will actually end up coming through? If there is a rainstorm will people be mostly covered? It seems like more of an annoyance than anything.
Are you saying the roof itself seems like more of an annoyance? If that's what you mean, I'd have to disagree. It seems poised to become one of the most iconic/photographed "public" spaces in the city. I say "public" because, although this is a private development, it's open to the public as opposed to specific office buildings etc.

Are you saying the roof itself seems like more of an annoyance? If that's what you mean, I'd have to disagree. It seems poised to become one of the most iconic/photographed "public" spaces in the city. I say "public" because, although this is a private development, it's open to the public as opposed to specific office buildings etc.
Yeah but if water or snow fly in every time it's bad weather outside, it's going to be annoying. Less annoying than being outside, but potentially more annoying than intended and planned due to the gaps as the previous poster mentioned.

Sure it will be well photographed, but a roof that doesn't keep the weather out is still going to be an annoyance.

Sure it will be well photographed, but a roof that doesn't keep the weather out is still going to be an annoyance.
Well I mean, are you annoyed at your Umbrella when it's raining outside? 😅. I think the intent here was clearly to mesh indoor with outdoor while providing some level of coverage for pedestrians. Personally, I think it's a refreshing change. But there is always the Eaton Centre just down the road for people who want more of an indoor-only shop haha. Just as bad weather creates a less than ideal pedestrian experience wherever you go outside, so too will it be a lovely experience when it's nice out, IMO.

Back