6FF49292-2270-4110-9195-B71B4E6AE7EF.jpeg
D0B13AB0-9203-4F71-A8BA-628A2E480148.jpeg
56FDCA53-5F8B-42F6-BBB5-A9A5128C385A.jpeg
07C5F8D2-293B-4CC2-A9F7-449D228075F7.jpeg
DB3CD8EB-EB19-400A-A6FB-E4E8EC2479B8.jpeg
ED39D3C5-D77B-4486-B2B2-792915E3818F.jpeg
ED741E30-340F-486C-A9C4-3536B4F9F0D5.jpeg

Photos taken today, Friday.

Here is the link to my "time-lapse" album, updated with today's photo. A sequence of photos from Oct 2020 to Jan 2023.

UTIMG_2349.jpg
UTIMG_2344.jpg
UTIMG_2227.jpg
UTIMG_2308.jpg
UTIMG_2253.jpg

And the answer from City Planning.........(thus far)........is NO, you may not have the extra height Mr. Mizrahi.

Mizrahi appealed the lack of a decision on this in September of 2022; the report above is a Request for Direction for staff to oppose the increase at OLT.

The long and short of it is actually quite short:

1673880452221.png

A brief note here about City Report nomenclature.

There was some inconsistency but it now appears clear than Planning/Clerks' have settled on some name changes.

Final Reports (Approval Recommended) are now being referred to as Decision Reports.

Request for Direction Reports (for staff to oppose an application at the OLT) are now being referred to as Appeal Reports.

I will be shifting to that language in my posts over the next while.

The park is pathetic. No one is going to travel across the city to visit. It's still a pubic space any of us can visit. I doubt many of us will end up in the penthouse of The One. The floor space index is extremely high as well and it's a supertall regardless of any height increase. The proposed increase doesn't push it above 400 metres. It's just not something to whine about for me.

The park is pathetic. No one is going to travel across the city to visit. It's still a pubic space any of us can visit. I doubt many of us will end up in the penthouse of The One. The floor space index is extremely high as well and it's a supertall regardless of any height increase. The proposed increase doesn't push it above 400 metres. It's just not something to whine about for me.

To be fair the reason people want the height increase isn't because of the public wants to be or would be in the penthouse. People want cool tall buildings that can be seen from all across the city and appreciated in that way from many places by many people as a dramatic peak on the skyline.

Now of course maybe that's a shallow reason and not a good reason to create new shadows on our holiest of holiest site Jesse Ketchum Park, but that is the thing to weigh as a trade-off value, not public access to the top of the tower.

Personally I think the skyline and this building's proportions (also in relation to 1 Bloor East and other buildings) would look better with it being taller. For me, having a higher peak at Yonge & Bloor would look very cool and this building's design is high quality enough to warrant it. And I do not personally care at all about sunlight on Jesse Ketchum (and personally find many of our parks with their wide open fields of grass are way too sunny and I generally cling to the small amounts of shade so I have a bias there...) but the park and schoolyard does have value for others and I don't personally go there and don't know how much it would be negatively impacted by not only increased shadowing from this but then potentially more shadowing from other proposals that would try to match the height and might get approved because precedent.

The problem is I don't have trust that when the City says "Shadowing bad. Jesse Ketchum must be protected from any new shadow and tall building stopped." I can't really say if it's actually bad because they always say height and shadowing is bad and it's a bit of a boy who cried wolf situation for me at this point.

Last edited:
So is their decision to deny the height increase final or can it still be granted?

I think Sam Mizrahi should placate the City of Toronto by creating a new park somewhere.

So is their decision to deny the height increase final or can it still be granted?

I think Sam Mizrahi should placate the City of Toronto by creating a new park somewhere.
The decision now rests with the OLT. Staff are requesting that they be directed to oppose the increase at a future hearing. Too early to tell if it will go to a full hearing or if a settlement will be reached. If it's the former, then probably looking at almost a year for the hearing, then a few more months for a decision.

The staff report should have included the shadow studies as attachments with the approved and proposed building heights.

To be fair the reason people want the height increase isn't because of the public wants to be or would be in the penthouse. People want cool tall buildings that can be seen from all across the city and appreciated in that way from many places by many people as a dramatic peak on the skyline.

Now of course maybe that's a shallow reason and not a good reason to create new shadows on our holiest of holiest site Jesse Ketchum Park, but that is the thing to weigh as a trade-off value, not public access to the top of the tower.

Personally I think the skyline and this building's proportions (also in relation to 1 Bloor East and other buildings) would look better with it being taller. For me, having a higher peak at Yonge & Bloor would look very cool and this building's design is high quality enough to warrant it. And I do not personally care at all about sunlight on Jesse Ketchum (and personally find many of our parks with their wide open fields of grass are way too sunny and I generally cling to the small amounts of shade so I have a bias there...) but the park and schoolyard does have value for others and I don't personally go there and don't know how much it would be negatively impacted by not only increased shadowing from this but then potentially more shadowing from other proposals that would try to match the height and might get approved because precedent.

The problem is I don't have trust that when the City says "Shadowing bad. Jesse Ketchum must be protected from any new shadow and tall building stopped." I can't really say if it's actually bad because they always say height and shadowing is bad and it's a bit of a boy who cried wolf situation for me at this point.

It's just frustrating because we're trying to be known as a world class city, and you need some statement buildings and good architecture do that, and we can't seem to do that because of things like "Jesse Ketchum Park".

Back