Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I'm in favor of increased development - just pointing out that this height increase doesn't exactly have many benefits (unrelated to shadowing, it's a tangent I got caught up in, LOL).

In the summer, maybe. In the winter, sun is more pleasant (remembering that kids have to go outside during recess, unless something has changed), since kids are inside most of the time these days.
Ok but is the height increase actually shadowing the park in the winter? This is the part that is unclear to me. From what I could tell it is not (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't necessarily disagree with the argument but if it's not applicable here than it's kinda pointless which I guess is what I'm sorta getting at. Regardless of how you feel on the shadow side of things how much of a real tangible effect is the increased height having here because I really thought it was negligible from the diagrams I saw.

View attachment 355521View attachment 355522
81A6B2EA-8975-4DF6-960F-9B5D60B8C70D.jpeg
047E334D-3A10-48E1-841C-1749B9A0DB31.jpeg
7C998296-56D7-46BF-8517-D6E5D7C4F2BC.jpeg
1BAFFB46-D927-4EDA-A77C-E81E77786FA8.jpeg

Ok but is the height increase actually shadowing the park in the winter? This is the part that is unclear to me. From what I could tell it is not (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't necessarily disagree with the argument but if it's not applicable here than it's kinda pointless which I guess is what I'm sorta getting at. Regardless of how you feel on the shadow side of things how much of a real tangible effect is the increased height having here because I really thought it was negligible from the diagrams I saw.
Due to the Earth's tilt, the sun is lower in the sky during the winter, meaning the shadowing doesn't really become an issue for the park during the summer, but as fall comes and the sun is further south in the sky, that shadow will pass over the park from the West end to the East. The same for the spring (which is why the studies are March/October). Make no mistake, come December 21st, the building's shadow will fully pass over the school and structures further North (combined and overlapped with much shorter buildings in the area, too). There will be periods during the school year, during school hours where that increase will make a difference though. We also can't take The One out of the context of the increased lack of sunlight after all the other existing and proposed construction in the area (Four Seasons, 1200 Bay, etc.).

But most of all, let's not forget that we've already been through this with The One. Height was already reduced, and now they're going against what they've already agreed to. They're not taking away sunlight for affordable housing, they're doing it to sell more luxury condos to rich people. In turn affecting a public school with a catchment area that encompasses students across all income groups.

Last edited:

Back