Toronto The Dupont | 36.55m | 9s | Tridel | Turner Fleischer

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Rather sizable mixed-use development in the works for the Dupont St Sobeys site (at Shaw St), just east of Ossington.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3393849

840 DUPONT ST
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan Amendment and Re-Zoning application to permit a mixed use development including office, retail, and residential uses. The total proposed residential gross floor area will be 27,873.05 square metres and the non residential gross floor area proposed is 10,862.22 square metres.

Tallest building height reached is 11-storeys, with 393 units total. Fitting scale for future growth along the Dupont corridor. Inclusion of addition commercial space is always encouraging, especially on this strip.

I'd like to see brick midrises with wide industrial style windows, to reference some of the more notable warehouses in the area.

We need to intensify all of the suburban big box store sites around the city, especially in the old city of Toronto. They're ugly, promote car use and result in a lot of stormwater runoff. This development is a good start.

Come on urbandreamer, this isn't really bad at all. Look at the way it fills out the site, fronts the street with a window-filled mid-rise podium, meets the street corner, puts the vehicle egress to the side, on Shaw, and places the main entrance right in the middle of the block. It adds what looks like a huge roof-top green space and puts the towers at the back of the site. I'd say this is good urbanism and definitely a step up from a big box store and parking lot.

My only complaint would be the side-walk width, since it seems to have the same set-back as that warehouse building at the corner of Ossignton and Dupont, which is a bit too narrow for my liking.

I recently moved into the neighbourhood and received a flyer from the local residents association regarding the proposal.

I burst out laughing when I read this section:

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

Maybe you want to continue to see the sky when you look north from your home, not condo towers. Maybe you simply appreciate the convenience of your local gas station. Or maybe you have much better ideas for what should be at the location.

Yes, because that is what makes for a vibrant and livable community, a gas station. There are legitimate questions to ask about the proposal. But throwing out every NIMBY trick of the trade and seeing what issue sticks will do no one any favors, and will probably lead to a disorganized opposition effort.

Last edited:
I recently moved into the neighbourhood and received a flyer from the local residents association regarding the proposal.

Yes, because that is what makes for a vibrant and livable community, a gas station. There are legitimate questions to ask about the proposal. But throwing out every NIMBY trick of the trade and seeing what issue sticks will do no one any favors, and will probably lead to a disorganized opposition effort.

You can't discount the important of a local gas station. It does make communities livable. Exiling all of them to the city outskirts is not a good idea. People live in the city and they have cars. Cars need gas and people need ways to get that gas.s while a gas station isn't as pretty as some other land uses, its still an important piece that makes the city work.

Might it be possible to link this flyer in its entirety here?

you think they could use some tinylinks to make typing out the websites easier... and sobeys isn't even the developer haha. it's CEO is about to get a bunch of angry e-mails for something he has no involvement with.

Back