Toronto The Carnaby Condos | 70.41m | 20s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

It's at 11 Peel

--

Friday can be a bit of a slow news day in the real estate world, what with sales centres typically being closed and developers prepping for a weekend full of partying.

This Friday is different though… Streetcar has just announced that they have a new development in the works in the Queen West ‘hood, near Gladstone Avenue.

They’ve dubbed it The Carnaby Lofts and it’s located at 11 Peel Avenue. Details are slim at the moment but we do know that prices will start from the low $200,000s and that it’s a collaboration with Dundee Realty.

We’re also thinking that based the name and promo featured on the left, The Carnaby Lofts will have a fashionable English appeal. Carnaby Street is a pedestrianised shopping street in London’s Soho district where The Who and The Rolling Stones used to hang out back in the cities. Very cool indeed!

Streetcar must love the Queen West area seeing as their 2 Gladstone and 8 Gladstone developments will be located quite close to The Carnaby Lofts. We’re quite partial to it ourselves…

We’re looking forward to hearing more on this development soon, so check back often for all the latest buzz!

--

Official render

CarnabyCondosSM.jpg

Perspective looks a bit off. That kind of vantage point would make it into what appears to be a 30+ floor building.

It looks like a 70s brutalist building retrofit with new windows. That's quite the "forehead". I do hope it is concrete and not pre-cast.

I kind of like it.

Looking forward to more renderings. I'm a big fan of the attractive new buildings designed by TACT for Streetcar in the area. Their designs for the recent phases for UrbanCorp are pretty decent too, huge improvement over the earlier projects.

Last edited:
I somehow missed this thread when it was first posted but for those at the beginning who were wondering about a vision for the area, Active 18 which is the local community activism group partnered up with York U's planning masters students to come up with proposals back in 2009. The proposals can be found here: http://www.active18.net/?page_id=101
Giambrone's office was involved in this project and they were eager to cooperate with Active 18, but I'm not sure if any momentum from that has negated by Giambrone leaving office.

I definitely think ''piecmealing" it is a way better plan. look at places that have not been piecemealed, and then look at places that have. huge difference. All our best bourhoods are piecemeal, all our run down housing complexes and boring boring soon to be dangerous suburbs are not piecemeal. If those crappy houses havn't been bought yet, they shouldn't go through the trouble to include them, it will make the neighborhood nicer and more valuable down the line if those are developed at a different time by a different architect.

I agree with Jane Jacobs that piecemeal development is the only way to build a successful neighbourhood. "Master planning" almost always creates cold, sterile districts.

Back