Toronto The Carnaby Condos | 70.41m | 20s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

If there *is* an argument for the faux, it may be paradoxically Rob Ford-esque, i.e. retro-schlock being, in its banality, more "authentic" than so-called "good contemporary design", much as Dufferin Mall might be argued as more democratically "authentic" than the bike-riding pinkofest that's the Dufferin Grove market...

I think this piece mealing is not the way to go. Either Streetcar or someone buys up this whole block and does a real planning job for the area, its going to turn out as what there now.

I support mid-rise here as the whole area is run down now.

When Price Choppers come down shortly, a low rise is not going to cover the return on the cost of buying it as well building it. What every gets built there needs to go hand and hand with the Gladstone Hotel.

It too bad I don't have the funds to buy this area up. You don't need retail in this area.

Seeing the leaning house go is a must as well the place that steel up for building a new addition that will not fit in with what there. Considering how long the steel been up, something is in the works was/is my feeling.

June 30
This will show where this project is and look likes today. The 3 houses to the west need to be part of this devlopement. The leaning house owner wanted to sell this one to the city after they bought the other one for the new underpass, but the city said. The owner is willing to unload this property, but not sure if they own 17 also. The house to the left with the bare steel frame is a house that Jack is building since it started about 2 years ago.

Streetcar is already using the southern of the building for their 8 Gladstone Sales office now.
5892081901_5f4bfc8163_b.jpg

5892645082_cb94391eb7_b.jpg

5892075357_3b98919569_b.jpg

I think this piece mealing is not the way to go. Either Streetcar or someone buys up this whole block and does a real planning job for the area, its going to turn out as what there now.

I support mid-rise here as the whole area is run down now.

When Price Choppers come down shortly, a low rise is not going to cover the return on the cost of buying it as well building it. What every gets built there needs to go hand and hand with the Gladstone Hotel.

It too bad I don't have the funds to buy this area up. You don't need retail in this area.

Seeing the leaning house go is a must as well the place that steel up for building a new addition that will not fit in with what there. Considering how long the steel been up, something is in the works was/is my feeling.

"Piece mealing", or gradual, natural, and smaller scale growth, in the hands of skilled designers, is always richer and more interesting.

Large scale, 'buy up the whole block' developments tend to be generic and corporate, and kill street life. Just look south across the tracks and see for yourself.

/\
...this is also assuming there is some sort of planning vision for the area. But even without it, with good design the results will still most likely be better.
And it should be noted mono-culture developments do not constitute good planning - they constitute business pushing an agenda. It's basically a conflict of interest: the city vs. big developer's agenda.

11 Peel Ave. (22s)

More development coming to the Queen Dufferin area.:)

11 PEEL AVE

Site Plan Approval 11 302512 STE 18 SA Ward 18
- Tor & E.York Nov 1, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Proposal to construct multiple buildings including 22 sty condo and low rise residential with a total of 404 residential units, 3 levels of below grade parking, and commercial/non residential at grade. Also see OPA/Rezonng.

Nice find! This was inevitable. What a coincidence, I actually saw this passing by on the Dufferin bus today, and thought to myself a development has to be on the horizon for that 1 storey warehouse. The clearing of the Dufferin jog has done wonders for opening up this crappy area to new developments.

I wonder if it`s by Streetcar Dev?

peel.png

Last edited:
I think there is another thread for this development, as I remember posting photos for this area there.

Then it could been in 2 or 8 Gladstone Ave threads.

Streetcar Developments owns most/all of Peel Ave now on the south side including this building since early summer 2011.

The laneway will be use for 2 & 8-14 Gladstone Condos by Streetcar Developments.

Streetcar Developments has agreed to provide an easement over the property at 11 Peel Avenue
in favour of 8-14 Gladstone which would ensure that a minimum of 12 metres between the
proposed building at 8-14 Gladstone and any future building at 11 Peel Avenue is maintained.

It will be interesting to see if the new 30m set back for residential buildings from the rail corridor will be used here.

Since only 25 people turn out for the September meeting on 8-14 Gladstone, how many will show up at the first meeting demanding a slopping step up from Peel starting at 4/6 stories for this building?

The rest of the residents north of 8-14 are not thrill having all this lane traffic for the 2 condos now and adding this building traffic will see more complaints.

Last edited:
Maybe the "food" sign implies that there will be plans for a supermarket as retail space at the base. Maybe Freshco (Price Chopper) will open here and have their current location on Gladstone available for redevelopment.

Last edited:
There's a proposal for the PC in the pipeline, if locals/nimbies stop demanding it only be 4s THs which is rather unreasonable. I believe the Freshco is moving to the CAMH area--the base of that Medallion Properties apartment building under construction on Lisgar.

So if Freshco covers the low end, a higher end shop could work here--maybe a Sobeys or Metro?

Back