Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

It's literally going to be covered in red sunshades. There will be no shortage of warm colour here to vibe with the rest of the hood.

I wouldn't think so. Heavier, more expensive and less durable.

Terracotta was spec'd for it early on, but cost was an issue I believe - but it wasn't clear what was chosen ultimately. Real terracotta had a richness and texture that painted aluminum would be hard-pressed to match.

AoD

Something like The Well should do the trick.

zZkv8BkIB5.jpeg

Red Mars

I wouldn't think so. Heavier, more expensive and less durable.

There's plenty of terracotta trim still around from buildings from the 1890s and 1900s. Meanwhile, original painted aluminium panels from the 1950s and 1960s are becoming exceptionally rare as cladding. Terracotta can be durable, and it is a richer looking material from an aesthetic standpoint.

Since this building is an important civic building at an important location, I think it's important not to tolerate the usual culture of cost cutting in the city in terms of architecture. Architecture is something for everyone to enjoy, not something to cut and diminish like some sort of social evil.

There's plenty of terracotta trim still around from buildings from the 1890s and 1900s. Meanwhile, original painted aluminium panels from the 1950s and 1960s are becoming exceptionally rare as cladding. Terracotta can be durable, and it is a richer looking material from an aesthetic standpoint.

Since this building is an important civic building at an important location, I think it's important not to tolerate the usual culture of cost cutting in the city in terms of architecture. Architecture is something for everyone to enjoy, not something to cut and diminish like some sort of social evil.
I agree with you 100% but unfortunately I feel the general public and civic leaders don't feel the same way anymore. Public architecture used to be bold and forward thinking, something to be proud of, but now it seems to perceived as a "waste of taxpayer dollars" to do anything above the bare minimum. Granted I think we're still going to get a fine building here, but I'd be shocked to see something as "lavish" as terracotta.

I think there is a bit of a misconception here - this is in no way a "cheap" building... The city could have hired any local firm to build a brick and metal box with the same boring moves all of the recent GTHA community centres / civic buildings have. It is unfortunate that the original competition design was watered down, but the end result isn't really bad at all. I actually think this is going to be a great building.

RSHP is all about structure as ornament, and I kind of appreciate that we're getting a design that dances with the idea of being a high tech building (it's no lloyds, but still ! )

I am most impressed with the exposed steel structure and conical ground floor concrete columns - a look that's kind of funky and dare I say, pretty metal.

Also interesting to note that the first of the support cables for the south facing overhangs have been installed. These kinds of weird structural flourishes are what excite me most about this project and I am very eager to see construction progress.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.17.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.23.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.21.54 PM.png

Last edited:
I think there is a bit of a misconception here - this is in no way a "cheap" building... The city could have hired any local firm to build a brick and metal box with the same boring moves all of the recent GTHA community centres / civic buildings have. It is unfortunate that the original competition design was watered down, but the end result isn't really bad at all. I actually think this is going to be a great building.

RSHP is all about structure as ornament, and I kind of appreciate that we're getting a design that dances with the idea of being a high tech building (it's no lloyds, but still ! )

I am most impressed with the exposed steel structure and conical ground floor concrete columns - a look that's kind of funky and dare I say, pretty metal.

Also interesting to note that the first of the support cables for the south facing overhangs have been installed. These kinds of weird structural flourishes are what excite me most about this project and I am very eager to see construction progress.
I think this building's been worth the wait for all these years, IMO.

Back