Toronto Oak House Student Residence | 75.55m | 23s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

Nov 21, 2020

20201121_093538.jpg
20201121_093548.jpg
20201121_093638.jpg
20201121_093918.jpg

I think universities should get into the development business, because at this rate they rate putting half of Toronto developers to shame.

This looks exquisite!

Interesting.............reading the landscape plan.....

Underneath much of paving stone on the University's property they'll be using a hydronic snowmelt system. So no road salt!

Sadly, it does not extend under the City's sidewalk.

Trees mostly native'ish.

Nice to see 4 Red Oaks in the mix.

Also

Silver Maple
Hackberry
Ketucky Coffee Tree (really only native to about Windsor........but I'm fine w/it. (though I don't think it should be called native)

Does have Ginkos though.....which are native to Asia.

No indication they are invasive here, but pretty useless to local wildlife.

Lots of good attention to detail in terms of soil volume and materiality along w/aeration and mitigation of compaction.

Is that what they are planning for that parkette behind there? Or am I looking at a rendered placeholder?

Could it be that they have different interests and barometers for 'success'?
It could very well be the case. Although universities could very well cheap out if they were so inclined; they know demand is sky-high for their residences so theoretically they could choose to build crap and students would still come.

Developers in this city just choose to take the easy route and build crap, and exploit it to the fullest extent possible knowing that people dont have much of a choice.

Buildings cost money throughout their lifecycle. Better building materials like quality glazing, assembled walls, higher performing mechanical and electrical systems, etc. will all benefit the University through cheaper operational costs over a period of 50 or more years. By contrast, market developers only need things to last a year or two after handover to the condo corporation (per Tarion), then they can dust their hands of a project and leave it to the corporation to sort out. It doesn't make sense to do anything beyond the bare minimum because they'll never have to incur the costs of maintaining and operating the building as a University (or other long term holder) would.

Does have Ginkos though.....which are native to Asia.

No indication they are invasive here, but pretty useless to local wildlife.

Lots of good attention to detail in terms of soil volume and materiality along w/aeration and mitigation of compaction.
U of T has an odd fascination with Ginkgo trees. They have a couple around King's College Circle and University College. Can't say I like them; there's a time of year when their leaves / seeds smell like dog $h**.

Not really liking the look of the latest building design either tbh.

U of T has an odd fascination with Ginkgo trees. They have a couple around King's College Circle and University College. Can't say I like them; there's a time of year when their leaves / seeds smell like dog $h**.

Not really liking the look of the latest building design either tbh.
Not just gingko trees, but there's also sakura trees throughout campus.

Institutional vibes for sure. There's a certain heaviness to the whole building, but that's inherently that way because of the massing. Overall, I trust the palette of bricking materials and prefer it much more than the previous iteration of what would have been looming greyness.

Last edited:

Back