Toronto Sidewalk Toronto at Quayside | ?m | ?s | Sidewalk | Snøhetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, 30 storey timber build is not allowed. It is also expensive in the short run, since we don't have the domestic industry to produce that construction material.

40% below market housing...so a ghetto?
What a terrible mindset to have for affordable housing.

Also, in regards to timber tower heights - SOM has a timber tower research group and Tokyo is well on their way to proposing LARGE timber builds. Milwaukee (I think) just approved a 21-story timber build so, 30-stories doesn't seem out of reach.

Umm, 30 storey timber build is not allowed. It is also expensive in the short run, since we don't have the domestic industry to produce that construction material.
The archaic building code related to wooden structures does not reflect the emergence of the new CLT technology. There are plenty of tall wood projects proposed around the city that exceed the height restrictions on wooden structures. George Brown College's Arbour across the street is a perfect example. For CLT construction, the 6 storey cap makes no sense whatsoever, so an amendment to allow construction will surely be obtained.
Google has always been a very forward-thinking company, so their choice of timber construction for structures as tall as 30 storeys is not surprising, but speaks volumes to how misunderstood, yet solid CLT construction is.
As far as domestic industry goes, yes there is one. The Arbour will use 100% Canadian timber. In any case, the argument is just a chicken-or-the-egg conundrum. How will you develop/grow an industry if you don't create a demand for its product? Proposals such as this are an excellent way to promote the growth of the domestic industry.
Personally, I am very glad to see more and more of these tall wood projects being proposed around the city!

There's an 18-storey student building built in BC with CLT - after the concrete structure shafts were poured - it took 9 weeks to build up the wooden structure and exterior envelope. It can be done

Isn't the whole point to reduce car usage here?
I presumed that Sidewalk's plans were to reduce car usage among its inhabitants though the design of its blocks and amenities, not reduce car usage in the area by intentionally removing routes of circulation from the area.

I presumed that Sidewalk's plans were to reduce car usage among its inhabitants though the design of its blocks and amenities, not reduce car usage in the area by intentionally removing routes of circulation from the area.

The plan has always been to re-direct Parliament so that it's less of a runway, and what I see in the draft plans seems consistent with that plan.

So setting the drama between WT and Ontario government aside, can this project be completely scrapped at this point (i.e. Sidewalk Labs told to take a hike)?

I think so - there is no material commitment at this point but can you imagine what message that would send to the international tech community? Having said that, the current provincial government doesn't seem to be particularly concerned about that.

AoD

Last edited:
I think so - there is no material commitment at this point but can you imagine what message that would send to the international tech community? Having said that, the current provincial government doesn't seem to be particularly concerned about that.

AoD

Exactly — the Thugs have shown literally zero regard for either norms or legally binding contractual agreements, and they’re looking for every single opportunity to stick it to the globalist leftists who have silly snowflake priorities, so I’d actually be surprised if they didn’t blow up this whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back