Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

I don't see any document in the SPA submission that describes the cladding materials (so that's odd), but it looks like they've gone from brick to limestone here for the first three storeys. That's rather beautiful with the bronze colours of the window frames, etc

Looking east along Dundas:
View attachment 277027

Looking east from Mutual Street:
View attachment 277028

Looking north across Dundas:

first three storeys? entire building looks like limestone with bronze window trims.

first three storeys? entire building looks like limestone with bronze window trims.
There's not an anti-masker's chance at a crowded bar that they'd apply limestone above the step-back; it's just way too expensive. That'll be either similarly toned precast or metal.

202 Jarvis Street and 160-166 Dundas Street East - Official Plan Amendment and Zoning Amendment Applications - Final Report
Public Notice Given
Statutory - Planning Act, RSO 1990
Community Council Recommendations
The Toronto and East York Community Council submits the item to City Council without recommendation.​
Community Council Decision Advice and Other Information
The Toronto and East York Community Council held a statutory public meeting on December 2, 2020 and notice was given in accordance with the Planning Act.​
Summary
This application proposes to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a 44-storey institutional building (Ryerson University). The development would include 36,784 square metres of institutional space (predominantly classrooms and ancillary laboratories), a student residence including 589 units (dorms), 181 square metres of retail space and a public square in the form of a privately owned public accessible space (POPS) with a total gross floor area of 57,525 square metres at 202 Jarvis and 160-166 Dundas Street East. The proposed building would have a height of 173.7 metres including the mechanical penthouse. The proposal includes one below grade level for loading, bicycle parking and mechanical rooms.

The Official Plan Amendment (OPA) proposes to amend provisions in Official Plan Amendment 82 (OPA 82) to permit the proposed public square to be located on the south-west portion of the site (instead of the south-east). Additionally, the OPA would permit the proposed massing and setbacks whereas OPA 82 defines towers and has provisions related to the massing and setbacks for towers and podiums.

The proposed development is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2020) and conforms with the A Place to Grow: Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (2020) and conforms to the City's Official Plan.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law. The proposed development is in keeping with the intent of the Toronto Official Plan, particularly as it relates to the provision of a mixed use Institutional development including classroom space, a student residence as well as a
POPS and retail space. Staff worked with the applicant and the community to address and resolve massing issues as well as an appropriate size and location for the proposed POPS.​
Background Information (Community Council)
(November 16, 2020) Report and Attachments 1-13 from the Director, Community Planning, Toronto and East York District - 202 Jarvis Street and 160-166 Dundas Street East - Official Plan Amendment and Zoning Amendment Applications - Final Report
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-158519.pdf)​
Speakers
Benjamin Hoff, Partner, Urban Strategies Inc.​

Communications (Community Council)
(December 1, 2020) Letter from Cynthia A. MacDougall (TE.Supp.TE21.9.1)
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/te/comm/communicationfile-124550.pdf)​

This is technically old news now, but it wasn't posted before:

Graham picked to build new $475M Ryerson campus building in Toronto

April 26, 2021

An upcoming project to convert a parking lot on the east end of downtown Toronto into a 44-storey Ryerson University campus building will fall to Graham Construction.

The Calgary-headquartered builder said April 21 it has been chosen as the contractor for the planned tower at 202 Jarvis St., which is expected to cost $475 million.

Covering a total of 565,000 sq. ft. (52,500 square metres), the building is designed with a 13-storey podium that will house classrooms, labs and other institutional space. The 29-storey tower above will serve as residence for nearly 600 students. A small amount of commercial space is also included in the plans.

Located on a Ryerson-owned site to the immediate southeast of the majority of the downtown campus, the new tower has been in the planning stages for several years, with the site currently moving through the rezoning process.

The university is using a collaborative construction model known as integrated project delivery (IPD) to deliver the mixed-use building at the corner of Jarvis and Dundas streets. Graham joins the IPD team tasked with carrying out the project, which already includes Zeidler Architecture and Henning Larsen Architects on the design side.

According to a request for proposals issued last December, Ryerson aims to complete the validation phase for the project by this fall. Graham said the estimated completion date for the new campus building is 2025.

From the cover letter summary of new docs posted on June 1, 2021:

202jarv.JPG

TE34.237
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Authorization for Submission of Minor Variance Application at 202 Jarvis Street and 160-166 Dundas Street East
The Community Council will be considering a motion to add this new business item to the Agenda.
Origin
(June 29, 2022) Letter from Councillor Robin Buxton Potts, Ward 13, Toronto Centre​
Recommendations
It is recommended that:

1. City Council, pursuant to Subsection 45(1.4) of the Planning Act, permit applications for minor variances with respect to the property municipally known as 202 Jarvis Street and 160-166 Dundas Street East, for relief from site-specific Zoning By-law 897-2021, in order to vary development standards related to the building height, building setbacks, and to consider a reduction in the bicycle parking supply.​
Summary
I am writing to you today in regards to the Toronto Metropolitan University’s (TMU) approved development at 202 Jarvis Street and 160 – 166 Dundas Street East and the University’s wish to seek minor variances at the Committee of Adjustment. The project represents one of the largest capital projects to expand academic space on the TMU campus in recent decades, and will help the University achieve its growing demand for additional classroom and learning spaces.
As the proposal has been advancing through the site plan approval process, TMU has had the opportunity to better understand the current student housing market and has since revised the development program. Key modifications include the removal of the student residence and tower portion of the building, the addition of a new academic floor on the retained podium building at the 14th level, the addition of a partial floor at the northwest corner of the building above the 5th storey, and a reduction in the bicycle parking rate to align with a new campus-wide bike-parking strategy.
City Council's authorization for submission of a minor variance application is required to allow this application to move forward. This resolution is not intended to, and does not, relay Council's endorsement of the merits of the minor variance application, but simply ensures that TMU can continue to advance staff review and planning approvals in a timely manner during the Council election break.​

so the student residence space is dead? Is TMU crazy? One of the university's biggest issues is a lack of dedicated student housing close to campus.

Also: Only a public university would leave approved residential density on the table.

I can't find a current set of plans in the AIC.

I'm reading this the same way as you; though I'd like to see the plans to verify that.

Assuming this is, as it seems, something I'm curious about is whether the building (as now proposed) will be built to structurally support adding the tower component later, or whether this
new proposal represents as 'permanent' new end condition.

I have to say I find the idea of entirely nixing the housing here rather odd myself.

Last edited:
All the surrounding condos built (Pace, DSG) or underway (Social) are practically student housing. A lousy way to provide it – dedicated student housing units allow for better student life – but that’s how it is, sadly.

TMU is one of the only universities in the province not to offer first year residency guarantees from what I remember... I thought half the reason this building was happening was trying to change that. I guess not. Just seems very silly to me.

Student housing is one of the clear most undersupplied markets in the province right now, particularly for TMU.

Back