Toronto Richview Square | 103.75m | 31s | Trinity Group | B+H

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
A third pre-application meeting was held on November 1, 2017, which presented proposed plans to redevelop Richview Square (owned by Trinity Development Group) and 4620 Eglinton Avenue West (owned by Build Toronto).

Link to Build Toronto article: http://buildtoronto.ca/city-buildin...quare-4620-eglinton-ave-w/?platform=hootsuite

Introductory presentation from the meeting: http://buildtoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/eg4620Richview_ICM3Boardsweb.pdf

Presentation of the proposed development: http://buildtoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/17-11-01-Combined-Presentation-FINAL-web.pdf

Renderings:
upload_2017-11-10_23-29-48.png

upload_2017-11-10_23-30-13.png

upload_2017-11-10_23-30-44.png

upload_2017-11-10_23-31-13.png

upload_2017-11-10_23-31-48.png

Site plan:
upload_2017-11-10_23-33-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-10_23-29-48.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-29-48.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,116
  • upload_2017-11-10_23-30-13.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-30-13.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,152
  • upload_2017-11-10_23-30-44.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-30-44.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,560
  • upload_2017-11-10_23-31-13.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-31-13.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,355
  • upload_2017-11-10_23-31-48.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-31-48.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,144
  • upload_2017-11-10_23-33-0.png
    upload_2017-11-10_23-33-0.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 2,911
After looking at those slides two things come to mind:
1. Why should cars be allowed to park in the public plaza if there is underground parking?
2. Why did the City approve the development next door with a cul-de-sac facing the street?

Wow, that's surprisingly sophisticated for this sleepy suburban area, especially considering that a block of cheesy faux historic town homes were just built to the west at Kipling.

Wow, that's surprisingly sophisticated for this sleepy suburban area, especially considering that a block of cheesy faux historic town homes were just built to the west at Kipling.

Even this project is filled with cliches: long walls of glass at ground level, yet another brick square or retail village, and several rectilinear minimalist towers. But all in all, it's a step in the right direction for the area, which needs to urbanize and become more walkable and attractive.

I expect the Nimbys to be out in full effect for this one. This is the kind of area where residents resist any kind of change, especially when those changes are towering and very visible. These are the types of developments that should be seen along this stretch of Eglinton, not uninspiring townhomes.

One thing I will say is that there is absolutely no need for cars to be present on the plaza. Just make it a fully pedestrianized plaza, with cars accessing the shops via the underground parking garage.

Re cars: unless there's some king of Shops at Don Mills intent. (And personally, I have my problems with a total wholesale relegation of cars underground.)

We have a front page story up, telling more of the details of this plan, while a database file is now attached at the top of the page which includes detail windows of a number of the renderings.

This was my local plaza when I lived in Toronto. I'm actually glad the strip mall is being retained as I found it weirdly charming with its outdoor colonnades and small retail units. The current parking lot is terribly configured and rarely full. However as mentioned above you can bet the locals will mount a resistance similar to the Humbertown redevelopment re height, density etc. since most people around here would rather hop in their car to drive 25 seconds to the plaza than walk ~10 minutes. I'm in favour of an inward facing "retail village" as opposed to orienting the space towards Eglinton as it is little more than a highway from the 427 down past the Humber anyway. I'll be following this one closely for sure.

On the contrary, I think it's imperative that the city makes every effort possible to urbanize these awful, highway-esque arterial roads. Street facing retail as is proposed here and the future LRT running down the middle of Eglinton will do wonders to soften the current harsh landscape. There's absolutely no reason streets such as this can't be another Queen or King street, which should be the model for all future avenue makeovers.

On the contrary, I think it's imperative that the city makes every effort possible to urbanize these awful, highway-esque arterial roads. Street facing retail as is proposed here and the future LRT running down the middle of Eglinton will do wonders to soften the current harsh landscape. There's absolutely no reason streets such as this can't be another Queen or King street, which should be the model for all future avenue makeovers.

I agree with this, but the problem is that the south side of this part of Eglinton has the backyards of suburban houses facing the street. It's basically fronted by one long wooden fence. Is there much that could be done about this?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6785...4!1sHb315HiUlSMkZUgdKnRMfg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The problem with this stretch of Eglinton is that it was designed as a transit/transport corridor. Throughout the corridor you'll find houses where the backyards face the street (as was mentioned above) and tower in a park apartment buildings. A separated bike path is also present along the corridor.

There is very little that can be done here to make it pedestrian friendly, and some of the development that has already taken place (ie: the townhomes) have already nullified the chance to modernize the corridor.

It's hard to blame the planning department on this one since the sale of the lands happened so quickly, and there was no time to come up with a comprehensive plan for Eglinton West. As a result, that's why we're seeing patchwork pieces of development that poorly integrate into the existing framework of the street. This proposal is one of the few exceptions.

250 WINCOTT DR
Ward 04 - Etob. York District

►View All Properties

The proposal will result in approximately 15,227 square metres of new and revitalized retail uses and 671 residential dwelling units. In total, the proposal contains approximately 75,525 square metres of gross floor area, resulting in a density of 2.48 times the area of the lot.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys 22 # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 18 150932 WET 04 OZ Apr 30, 2018 Under Review

Back