Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

sadey8.jpg

:(

One step closer to forcing the city to dump the Entertainment District by-law. Like it or not, this area is going to be residential.

Nice to see that garish concrete bunker gone. Hopefully the condo will be slick, and with some decent retail below- perhaps a nice French Bistro. This neighbourhood is beginning to have promise.

I, for one, am looking forward to the demolition of these clubs. I won't miss the idiot hordes of slick-haired, tight pink shirt wearing, glowing purple honda civic driving ginos from Brampton and Scarborough that roam these streets at night, thinking they're the shit for acting like maroons in the "big city."

They can build their clubs in their own neighbourhoods and start street fights there, instead of holding our cops hostage every weekend.

Ha ha. I know it's reactionary and I'm stereotyping, but clubgoers are such fucking louts and the club district itself is so full of gorgeous warehouse architecture that I, too, applaud the demise of every club in the area.

I've never been a 'clubber' either - I just dont see the point...

Why would I first pay money for alcohol to pre-drink, pay for a cab down there, pay my cover, pay for coat check and then pay 6$ for a f--king Canadian - all to the insipid 'beat' of music which I would never myself listen to.

What a great night in the making!

Now take a place like The Montreal Bistro - there was a truly great experience. I often lament its loss and hope The Rex doesn't befall the same mysterious fate.

I've never been a 'clubber' either - I just dont see the point...

Why would I first pay money for alcohol to pre-drink, pay for a cab down there, pay my cover, pay for coat check and then pay 6$ for a f--king Canadian - all to the insipid 'beat' of music which I would never myself listen to.

What a great night in the making!

Now take a place like The Montreal Bistro - there was a truly great experience. I often lament its loss and hope The Rex doesn't befall the same mysterious fate.

I'm a clubber, I don't drink in clubs because that's a waste of money. I go to dance to beats that I like listening to. There are a couple of decent 90's dance clubs left on King st which I hope never leave.

I have to admit....

That upon reflection and reading about countless accounts of people's experiences down in the district that we could definitely do with less clubs. Spread them out more or simply cut the number of clubs down somehow.

Hearing from my some of my co-workers as they brag about their endless nights of drinking and puking everywhere while taunting bystanders for kicks just doesn't impress me anymore.

Seems to me that the overall behaviour of young people these days has become all too disruptive and sleazy. Guess this make me a prude I suppose. Speaking of, I was having this talk earlier in the summer at work with some nurses on this very topic.

As I was telling about my friday night walk with some friends through the district one of the younger (and drop dead gorgeous looking ones) joined the conversation.

She recalled how amazed she was at the throngs of obviously very young minors walking in full club gear and just asked "where are all the parents while their kids are walking the beat?".

Funny as how I was thinking the same thing when walking with my friends and we all commented on this. She and I exchanged stories of our curfews and how that if we weren't home by a certain time, there would be hell to pay.

The younger nurse told us that being from an italian family she had to be home by 10 every night till she was 19 or else. Then the curfew mysteriously disappeared. That cracked the group up but they all agreed that kids these days have way too much bad behaviour and are out of control.

Several of my other, better behaved co-workers especially the ones from immigrant families have told us that they have strict curfews and how their parents absolutely will not tolerate any dispectful conduct from their kids.

I see this same type of behaviour in some of my younger, less behaved co-workers. No respect for others and some really bad offensive behaviour thrown in for good measure. The club district and all the problems associated with it just really drives homes this point.

Holy Sh!t

Just returned from the second of Adam Vaughan's two "pre-application development proposal presentations" this week. On tonight's roster were this site, 21-31 Widmer, 287/291 Richmond W / 117 Peter and 60 John / 12+18 Mercer.

The new proposal for this site is for a 35-storey, Habitat (Montreal) -inspired tower that looks like a giant jenga game covered in moss. A 9-storey podium covers the entire lot and is topped by a pyramidal isosceles triangle shaft. The "faces" of the shaft are alternating cutouts and extrusions of cubes. Many of the top surfaces of these cubes (plus the entire roof of the podium) are covered in trees and other vegetation.

I've requested renders.

More comments on the presentation once I have a chance to make digests of the 2 other significant projects presented tonight -- aside from this and the 117 Peter chopped-up folding screen building.

wow, sounds interesting. can't wait to see the renders.

From what I've seen this should be the most unique condo proposed in Toronto- also, given that it is TAS it will certainly continue pushing the green envelop.

And how did Teeple get some condo commissions? Remember that Regent Park PR stunt Teeple pulled a few years ago? (Low rise but innovative building vs aA's highrise glass--and lovely--box.) I've always loved Teeple because he represents small town Ontario: he's from St Mary's.

If I was gonna buy a condo, I'd buy a unit in this building perhaps; or wait until TASDB puts one up in FREEDville. Perfect.

Back