Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

heh love how small they think lake shore should be. this is nothing but a wishlist. doubling the size of ontario place by adding more land into the lake?
i know it's spacing and they love their "sky high ideas for cheap" but that's just a little ridiculous

Why does the above idea make you angry @W. K. Lis ?
I liked the Food Building. Don't like having the Food Building, Horse Palace, etc. replaced to make way for high-rises. If the first couple of floors are kept for the CNE, I would expect complaints from residents above those buildings from the various aromas from the Food Building or horse palace during the CNE or Royal Winter Fair. They'll likely also complain about the noise from the rides or BMO games or car races.

Conceptually I agree that Exhibition Place and Ontario Place should be amalgamated and revitalized into a cohesive whole, but there are some issues with the details here. I appreciate how they tried to create a better street grid but the designers have chopped a few thousand seats off the east side of BMO Field, not to mention deleted the yet to be built Exhibition station in favour of a stop at either end of the site (which one would connect to the GO train?). Also looks like they demolished the part of Medieval Times where the people actually sit and watch the horses run around, as well as the Raptors practice facility.

I do like the Dufferin extension and creating a more level crossing at Lake Shore. Anything that creates a more accessible pedestrian realm would be welcome.

I also like the idea of moving Bud Stage to the other side of Lake Shore. Anything that brings big crowds all at one time should be closer to transit to encourage people not to drive.

I liked the Food Building. Don't like having the Food Building, Horse Palace, etc. replaced to make way for high-rises. If the first couple of floors are kept for the CNE, I would expect complaints from residents above those buildings from the various aromas from the Food Building or horse palace during the CNE or Royal Winter Fair. They'll likely also complain about the noise from the rides or BMO games or car races.

Fair enough. I'm fond of the old Horse Palace too. The Food Building, from an architectural perspective is nothing special (to me, anyways); the idea of it; of being a place to discover new and interesting food ideas is worthwhile, but could be shifted to a different venue, lots of buildings have restaurants and grocery stores, I don't see that as a big issue; I will then add, the Food Building has lived up to its ideal in at least a few decades.

I've added a 😍 if that helps.

TY.

I don't mind if people are critical of this proposal, in full or in part; as I don't mind people critiquing anything really.

I just want people to explain why they don't like something so that we can have an engaged, thoughtful discussion about those points!

TY.

I don't mind if people are critical of this proposal, in full or in part; as I don't mind people critiquing anything really.

I just want people to explain why they don't like something so that we can have an engaged, thoughtful discussion about those points!
To that, I love it because it's billion times better than what the current sitting government plans to do with it...as it also shows who the ignorant ones are at the table here.

Also, why add an Ontario Line station that clearly won't be there (Strachan)? Dufferin is fine as it is a likely candidate in the future.

The distance between the west end of the existing GO Platforms and Dufferin is ~400M; even if the O/L stop at Exhibition were positioned towards the east, there's no way it would far enough away to also support a Dufferin Station.

To be clear, I don't think nixing the existing, proposed, Exhibition Station is on; but I do understand the rationale for the proposal, which is that Exhibition Station doesn't connect to the main N-S bus route in the area (Dufferin); once you shift the station to the west to achieve Dufferin, there is now a logical gap between there and King/Bathurst to support an additional station.

I don't think its a unreasonable idea; except for the fact we're awfully far along to revisit the existing plan at this point. But worth noting, this proposal was drawn up 2 years ago, when we were not so far along.

I've been in total despair about this Ontario Place situation knowing we had no leadership that could meaningfully stand up against it since John Tory seemed to not care at all and not even comment on it. But with a new mayor the dynamic here could change.

Of course Toronto doesn't have much actual power to stop the province doing what they want to do in the end, but a new mayor could be more strongly politically oppositional about this, speaking publicly about it in the press, or even pick up the issue and use it as a major war against Doug or make it into an election issue. I still don't have much hope, but the situation here might become more of a flashpoint if we get a new mayor who has a bit more courage and less of a submission-by-default approach towards the province. I hope candidates bring it up in the election campaign.

The other thing that's on my mind about the upcoming obliteration of the West Island and all its trees is what will the public reaction be like when that actually becomes a reality — a thing that people can see happening, take photos/videos of, post about on social media, post news stories about. We saw a furor recently around the Osgoode Hall trees, but that reaction was also mitigated by the space never even really seeming like a public space in the first place (behind the intimidating gate and associated with Osgoode Hall) and also mitigated by the argument that they were being cut for transit, which weighs much more significantly in the other ledger — so much so that there was a strong counter-furor of people saying these politicians complaining about a few trees is why we never get transit built.

But the situation is very different with Ontario Place.

First of all it's cutting down way more trees, and right on the lakefront. It is destroying basically an entire ecosystem, and entire beautiful location of the city will be razed. And for what? Not transit here, but instead a private spa recreating an indoor fake nature simulacrum done in a terrible-for-the-public deal transferring public land to a private company. And Ontario Place is very much more a public place and in the public consciousness vs the Osgoode Hall gated trees.

People might not be paying attention to this issue, or not care, but when the chainsaws start coming out and this entire island is razed to the ground for a private corporate spa, what's that moment going to be like? Especially if there is a new even somewhat more oppositional towards Queen's Park mayor. And in this climate of everyone seeing pretty clearly how corrupt and against the public interest Doug Ford's government is, how will people react to seeing this island and all its trees destroyed for a private deal? (And a bad one at that with the province paying so much money for remediation, parking, and letting the public be scammed by fantasy renderings.)

Last edited:
I mean this is quite funny. how can you feel sorry for rich people who own boats. "BUT WHERE DO WE GO?"

finding out how cheap 6 month storage fees are is hilarious.

only paying 2,000 to store your boat?
Gonna come to the defense of the boat owners here. Whomever is managing the construction knew that they were going to need to close the marina at some point and it's not fair to the marina users that they were only notified a couple of months before the season that it wouldn't be operating. I expect they could have been provided with more notice, but as is a pattern for the province, doing anything transparently to those who might be impacted is a foreign concept.

The marina users seem to have no recourse as these are yearly contacts which puts Ontario Place in a position where strictly speaking they have no duty or obligation to the boaters.

This just goes to show that when you're a rich boat owner, you really need to go the extra step and own your own dock 😉

I mean this is quite funny. how can you feel sorry for rich people who own boats. "BUT WHERE DO WE GO?"

finding out how cheap 6 month storage fees are is hilarious.

only paying 2,000 to store your boat?
Perhaps the Province could try to be competent and provide proper notice when it should have been obvious to them ?

The cost also depends on the size of boat, so boats between 20-30 feet with dock fees @ $115/ft would be $2,300-$3,450 for the summer season (May to October). OP doesn't offer winter boat storage so that would be an added cost that has to be arranged somewhere else.

Back