Toronto OCAD U: 100 McCaul | 39.4m | 9s | OCADU | Morphosis

I don't think we have posted this here before:

https://www2.ocadu.ca/sites/www2.ocadu.ca/files/documents/CCC_June28_masterslidedeck.pdf

upload_2018-10-30_14-17-54.png

upload_2018-10-30_14-18-5.png

upload_2018-10-30_14-18-14.png

upload_2018-10-30_14-18-25.png

(Teeple/Morphosis/OCADU)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-30_14-17-54.png
    upload_2018-10-30_14-17-54.png
    348.9 KB · Views: 1,879
  • upload_2018-10-30_14-18-5.png
    upload_2018-10-30_14-18-5.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,941
  • upload_2018-10-30_14-18-14.png
    upload_2018-10-30_14-18-14.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,810
  • upload_2018-10-30_14-18-25.png
    upload_2018-10-30_14-18-25.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,906
Why did they shift from the north block addition to this? It destroys the original intent of the Alsop floating cube.

I hope they turn the street south of this new building - the street leading to the park - into a car-free public space. The whole block including the tower under construction all pay such homage to one another. It would be cool if the street could too.

I'm not completely sold on it but the rationale at least makes me dislike it less. School desperately needs some new space...perhaps aLL Design can get involved for the sake of continuity.

Love that building. Was in my first group show in there, back in early '81 or so. These days, when between professional gigs, I stop in there every second week or so for drawing supplies. For entirely sentimental reasons, would hate to see it sacrificed for this vision. I agree, it kind of mocks Alsop's contribution. It's just too much.

Love that building. Was in my first group show in there, back in early '81 or so. These days, when between professional gigs, I stop in there every second week or so for drawing supplies. For entirely sentimental reasons, would hate to see it sacrificed for this vision. I agree, it kind of mocks Alsop's contribution. It's just too much.

That Aboveground was a weekly stop for me when I went to school there. Would hate to see it go...only hope that is if they put something up here Aboveground would be able to set up shop there (slightly less cluttered space would do them good).

I first knew it as Gallery 76. Only many years later did I start to shop at Aboveground on a regular basis.

And it's funny, but for me that cluttered interior landscape is part of the store's charm.

Anyway, back on topic - is this actually going ahead? Today is the first I've heard of it. It really is a big remake of that stretch of McCaul, although the condo immediately south of that site also makes for profound change.

That Aboveground was a weekly stop for me when I went to school there. Would hate to see it go...only hope that is if they put something up here Aboveground would be able to set up shop there (slightly less cluttered space would do them good).

As the only remaining Victorian house on McCaul south of Dundas it adds some much needed character and contrast to that stretch. It must be kept as is.

Email update from the school:

Dear OCAD University neighbours:
You may notice some drilling noise next week as we begin preliminary test work for the Creative City Campus - new-build component.

On November 19, 20 and potentially 21, between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., two trucks will be on site in the private laneway between OCAD U and the AGO (just south of Jackman Hall), to locate and map existing service pipes, and verify soil conditions. This will determine where the structure for the new-build component can be situated. The motors will need to be running throughout this process, so ongoing loud noise is expected.

Eastern Construction will be on site to manage traffic and the overall work. Please excuse any inconveniences this may cause. Questions may be directed to creativecitycampus@ocadu.ca.​

Back