Toronto Magellan Centre | 29.64m | 7s | Magellan Community Charities | Snyder Architects

More key info from the website above:

On April 18th, 2018, the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care awarded 256 long term care beds to Magellan Community Care. Less than a year later, on March 28th, 2019, the City of Toronto publicly announced that Magellan had successfully secured the site located at 640 Lansdowne Avenue, Toronto. This project was also accepted by the City of Toronto’s Open Door Affordable Housing Program. We have received a Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) grant of $114,000 and $195,000 in contributions from the founding members to cover specific initial planning and design costs.

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2020, with the official opening planned for October 2022 to coincide with the 500th anniversary of Ferdinand Magellan’s famed and historic expedition — the first expedition to successfully circumnavigate the world.

The new Centre is warm and welcoming in concept and design. The second and third floors will accommodate the 60 affordable assisted living units. Floors four to seven will be home to the 256 long-term care units. The long-term care units will be grouped into eight pods, thereby offering residents smaller, congenial communities in which to enjoy daily activities and form friendships.

The ground floor will incorporate shared space for both the long-term care and the affordable housing residents while extending a welcome to the larger community as well. This “Community Hub” will be used to support recreational, educational and culturally focused programs.

It's a pretty huge lot overall though. Based on the renderings, it appears like the Magellan Centre is planned along Lansdowne. So I wonder if there will be remaining sections on the interior of the lot that could be planned for other non-senior living, affordable housing.

So a little over 300 “units” on a site this large? How come I get the feeling the city is yet again leaving a lot of density on the table here?

So a little over 300 “units” on a site this large? How come I get the feeling the city is yet again leaving a lot of density on the table here?
Only the 1/3rd of the site closest to Lansdowne was rezoned for mixed uses. So those 300 units are going in along the 1/3rd portion. The remainder is designated employment lands and it's very much the wish of the city and community to see these used for employment purposes, whatever they may eventually be.

There's going to be a GO station nearby and plenty of other sites around can support local residential intensification. Important to also marry that with local jobs

20191019_170459.jpg

Graham Construction signage has been added to the fencing:

View attachment 237279
I don't think they are part of the redevelopment. I've heard they leased the land to Graham for temporary use as a lay down area for the Metrolinx project on Davenport.

Any idea if the affordable housing project here will ever go through? Haven't even seen a development application yet.

I don't think they are part of the redevelopment. I've heard they leased the land to Graham for temporary use as a lay down area for the Metrolinx project on Davenport.

Any idea if the affordable housing project here will ever go through? Haven't even seen a development application yet.

Hilarious - for all the bluster coming from John Tory's office about the housing crisis and desperately needing to build more affordable apartment buildings (of which this site is one such designated), there sure isn't a whole lot of action to go with the urgency being conveyed to the media.

Enough talk.

Corebuild Construction is proud to announce its selection as the Construction Manager of the Magellan Long Term Care Facility in Toronto.

October 8, 2020

The Magellan Centre will be built on the northwest corner of Lansdowne Avenue and Paton Road, on 1.18 acres facing Lansdowne Avenue. The site is in a mature area, conveniently located to public transit near the Bloor subway station.

The second and third floors will accommodate the 60 assisted living units. The remaining top four floors will be home to the 256 long-term care units. These units will be grouped into eight pods, which will offer residents smaller communities in which to form bonds and enjoy activities together.

An exciting feature of the Magellan Centre will be the Community Hub located on the ground floor. It will incorporate shared space for both the long-term care and the assisted living residents while extending a warm welcome to the larger community as well. This community space is designed to promote inclusivity outreach. It will be used to support recreational, educational and culturally focused programs, such as arts and crafts, cooking classes, movie nights, exercise classes, interactive workshops and a computer lab hub/learning centre.

Included in the Centre’s design are main floor spaces for medical services to address the health and wellness needs of seniors.

To learn more, please click link below.

^rendering from the article:

Magellan_3D_view01-1-1-1024x512.jpg

Brilliant? No.

But for an LTC, on this section of Landsdowne.........perfectly serviceable.

There's even an attempt at some granularity in the lower levels, breaking up the mass with 2-3 different material choices.

The upper box is exceedingly bland......but fairly inoffensive.

Brilliant? No.

But for an LTC, on this section of Landsdowne.........perfectly serviceable.

There's even an attempt at some granularity in the lower levels, breaking up the mass with 2-3 different material choices.

The upper box is exceedingly bland......but fairly inoffensive.

I don't know about those top 4 stories. Pink brick and green glass? Is it 1988?

Also surprised there isn't more height...

Pretty good effort on the first 3 floors. I've never cared all that much about what things look like above that. It would be nice if they could find away to address the corners a bit better. It feels a little barren on the edges.

It's overall quite monotonous and drab, but perhaps expected considering it's a LTC institutional facility. If they end up using brick or akin materials that area quality, then it may end up reasonably decent.

Back