Toronto Magellan Centre | 29.64m | 7s | Magellan Community Charities | Snyder Architects

Froggy

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems like things are finally moving for the TTC-owned lot along Lansdowne, a few blocks north of Bloor.

This is from Ana Bailao's website - post published last December:

As many of you are aware, the TTC owned land at 640 Lansdowne Avenue was contaminated by previous industrial uses from the surrounding area. Following a lengthy legal battle between General Electric and the TTC over this contamination, an agreement was finally reached earlier this year.

As a result of my efforts and for the City and TTC to do its due diligence in facilitating the eventual transfer of this land, work is presently underway to complete the environmental testing process on the site to determine the current situation and next steps. This will include a Phase 1 and 2 Environmental Assessment and a Remedial Action Plan. These steps are necessary to ensure that something actually takes place on the land.

I have been informed that this work has started yesterday, meaning that action is taking place after many long years of this site sitting vacant and nothing happening.

This site has also been identified as a potential site for affordable housing through the City's Open Door Program. I would like to caution that everything is still very much in the preliminary stages and I will be updating the community as this issue progresses and the picture becomes clearer. If you would like to read more about the Open Door Program, I encourage you to click here. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact my office at councillor_bailao@toronto.ca or 416-392-7012.

Here's the site:
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.28.11 PM.png

Looking south towards Bloor:
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.30.17 PM.png

Looking north-ish:
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.31.05 PM.png

I didn't find any existing thread about this, but maybe one was created under another name?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.28.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.28.11 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,778
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.30.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.30.17 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,688
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.31.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 2.31.05 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,452
This is good news. Ideally I hope to see a mixture of townhouse and mid-rise forms, along with some retail/live-work type spaces along Lansdowne.

Would be nice to see some retail fronting Lansdowne, although I'm not sure if that's something the City ever includes in affordable housing developments (other than projects with a market component, like Regent Park).

In Ana Bailao's current newsletter, she has this to say:

Last November, I hosted a community meeting to discuss our community's vision and priorities for the vacant TTC lands at 640 Lansdowne Ave. As you may know, the 1/3rd of the site closest to Lansdowne Ave is zoned for mixed use development while the remaining 2/3rds are zoned for employment uses.

At the community meeting and in other communications from residents, I have heard from many of you that our neighbourhood would like to see:
    1. Low to Mid-Rise Seniors Housing on the Mixed-Use Lands
    2. Green Space for a Park on a Portion of the Employment Lands
    3. Support Services for Seniors and/or Artist Spaces on the Employment Lands
I have listened to the community and these suggestions will form the basis of the City's approach to these lands with respect to future development. I will be ensuring that there will be plenty of public consultation in the future and will work hard to ensure that any development fits within the character and addresses the needs of our community.​

Man this site was announced for affordable housing back in 2016. Three years later and no developer has been chosen yet, smh.
Same goes for the Allen District at Sheppard and Allen Road - that is a massive site sitting adjacent to parks, subways, GO lines and highways. May be the most connected hub in the city, yet it is vacant

These images were posted onto the Magellan Community Charities website. http://magellancommunitycharities.ca/the-seniors-centre-concept-and-design/

I expect we'll see plans submitted to the City to reflect these in duecourse
Snyder Architects I believe is the architects for the project. They are listed as Magellan Charities "Professional Partners".

In case you forgot, here is the council decision for approving the affordable housing partnership http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-130787.pdf

Back