Mississauga Limelight Condominiums | ?m | 32s | Daniels | Kirkor

Of course bbq's are permitted on the balconeys of many hi-rises. Not charcoal but certainly gas if a line is installed.

True but still dumb as even gas bbq's have the potential to cause fires in close living quarters. Why not just say no bbq's, no exceptions...period! With condo towers getting taller and taller all the time there's going to have to be a serious public consultation on the dangers of fire posed by these monster buildings. How prepared are fire departments to deal with an inferno in a building such as Ice or One Bloor, for example? A little common sense goes a long ways.

True but still dumb as even gas bbq's have the potential to cause fires in close living quarters. Why not just say no bbq's, no exceptions...period! With condo towers getting taller and taller all the time there's going to have to be a serious public consultation on the dangers of fire posed by these monster buildings. How prepared are fire departments to deal with an inferno in a building such as Ice or One Bloor, for example? A little common sense goes a long ways.

Sorry - but this is just wrong. First of all, major incidents very seldom come out of the blue, totally unexpected. If there were a pattern or history of minor incidents with gas line fitted barbeques, then yes, there should be regulations against them. I am not aware of any even minor incidents with gas line fitted barbeques on high rise building balconies. One of the first indications of risk would be the impact on property insurance. I am not aware of allowing barbeques in a building impacting the building's umbrella insurance policy. Having a barbeque certainly did not impact our home insurance policy - I do not believe it was even a question on the application form.

I am aware of barbeque fires having happened - in fact, before we moved into our condominium, our next door neighbour had a barbeque fire - a barbeque with a propane gas tank - not a natural gas line. Propane gas barbeques are not allowed in high rise buildings - they are the risk because of the amount of combustant in the propane tank - not the limited flow of gas coming out of the barbeque gas line.

If you want to talk about dumb risk and dangers of fire posed in monster buildings - the real risk is smoking - how many apartment fires in high rise buildings are caused by smokers? Sorry, allowing smoking in high rise buildings, especially in combination with drinking - now that is what creates risk, not gas barbeques.

My understanding of the legal restriction on propane tanks is they can only be brought up from the ground in a freight elevator, or in a passenger elevator in which not other passengers other than the person transporting the propane tank are present. The risks associated with propane tanks, plus the legal restrictions on their transportation in elevators, are what leads condominium buildings to ban their use.

Last edited:
If you want to talk about dumb risk and dangers of fire posed in monster buildings - the real risk is smoking - how many apartment fires in high rise buildings are caused by smokers? Sorry, allowing smoking in high rise buildings, especially in combination with drinking - not that is what creates risk, not gas barbeques.

Amen to this.

But you don't need to live in a high-rise for smoking to be a fire risk. I live in a mid-rise and there have been a number burn incident due to people casually tossing lit cigarette butts off their balconies. Ironically, one neighbour of mine had a plastic rain cover over their BBQ partially burned due such an occurrence.

Posted by Xaevus
nkmTnI6.jpg

Dec 16
Coming home after a meeting, I caught changing colour lights on both towers. I Left the main camera at home.
11412897185_fe0dd212ec_b.jpg

11412918145_9fab9deea5_b.jpg

11412916855_06a102f3f3_b.jpg

http://youtu.be/bGiPdgvEULI

[video=youtube_share;qpsy7lTMcdk]http://youtu.be/qpsy7lTMcdk[/video]

Why not say no to people having a pulse? Do you cross the street? Can you cite even a single incident where a fire was caused by a BBQ on a modern condo balcony? These buildings are completely non-combustible - concrete, glass, and steel - there is nothing to ignite. (Propane tanks are a different story because they are explosive.)

So you are saying we should also ban gas appliances in condos too? They use the exact same gas line that BBQ's on a balcony would use.

Two evenings ago, liking the lights on the roof, and loving the lights under the podium canopy. This development is, from all reports, quite the success.

DSC05943.jpg

DSC05941.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05941.jpg
    DSC05941.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 781
  • DSC05943.jpg
    DSC05943.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 797
I brought a visitor to MCC and walked around this area a few weeks back. Loved that the city is placing benches along the sidewalks throughout MCC. It's something you don't see much of in Toronto, but its nice to be able to sit down and just people watch, or stare at buildings for a bit.

Two evenings ago, liking the lights on the roof, and loving the lights under the podium canopy. This development is, from all reports, quite the success.

Certainly looks like it from the pictures. Well done!

MCC has an attractive skyline. Most buildings, whether modern or Postmodern, have interesting architectural features and lighting. The overall effect is quite good already from some angles, though it needs a lot more development to feel urban.

Back