Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Oh no!

I had not heard of that fire until now. Terrible news. How serious is it? I see that Cibo Wine Bar is ‘temporarily’ closed.

My desk used to be right where that fire was. I hope everyone is OK and the building (the historic Gurney Stove Foundry, 1890 or so) can be saved. It's all wood inside, the floor, the posts, the beams. But sprinklered, I think.

My desk used to be right where that fire was. I hope everyone is OK and the building (the historic Gurney Stove Foundry, 1890 or so) can be saved. It's all wood inside, the floor, the posts, the beams. But sprinklered, I think.

Having seen the building after the fire, the major damages appeared to be on the patio, with extensive smoke damage on the facade above. Some damages within the structure, primarily on the ground floor, with more limited damage within the floors above. Fire department response was very fast. I suspect that some of the visible damage - windows being knocked out and displacement of fixtures, furniture etc. on the upper floors was a result of the fire hoses in putting out the fire.

In context - the 1981 Confederation Life building fire did far more damage to an even larger and more historic brick clad post and beam structure, and was fully restored to its present state.

This is an Allied Reit owned property. Anticipate that Allied will take similar care in this case, as they are with the restoration of 424 Wellington West, after the two fires that took place there while the property was under Brad Lamb's ownership.

Last edited:
In context - the 1981 Confederation Life building fire did far more damage to an even larger and more historic brick clad post and beam structure, and was fully restored to its present state.

I remember that fire! My parents spoke of it when I was a kid. They might even have driven by with me in the aftermath to take a look at the destruction, but I could just be imagining that since it's been 42 years. I recall them saying that one of the turrets (columns?) even dramatically collapsed onto the road, but again, I'm not sure how accurate that is, and the wiki article makes no mention of it.

2CDC7654-39C3-446C-ADCA-32790D61ECB5.jpeg

I remember that fire! My parents spoke of it when I was a kid. They might even have driven by with me in the aftermath to take a look at the destruction, but I could just be imagining that since it's been 42 years. I recall them saying that one of the turrets (columns?) even dramatically collapsed onto the road, but again, I'm not sure how accurate that is, and the wiki article makes no mention of it.

I remember comparing pre-fire historical photos to present day photos of the exterior. The post-fire restoration work was remarkable, but the building lost certain architectural features.

Back