Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Me too but it actually makes sense. I always wondered how switching from an at-grade loop to an elevated structure saved money
I think the theory is that a bi-directional loop of, what, 2 miles in circumference would cost more to build than a elevated y of much shorter distance.

Factor in the operational aspects of trip lengths....someone killed the loop.

^That, and maybe move the damn City Centre Terminal to Hurontario so you wont need to be desperately begging and relying on this idiotic loop as much.
Should be a terminal at Hurontario near the transitway, and another at Cooksville GO, where MCC should have been built anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why Metrolinx and the province are both saying, "No Backsies!" to moving the Steeles stop. Having read this earlier post I'm left confused at the intransigence on display.

I get that it's a change in scope of the contract, but it's honestly such a small one. We're taking about what, 50 metres? Any business or organization in their right minds never outright denies a change in the contract like this, they say, "Sure, we'll do it for $$$ extra. Sign here."

What am I missing?

^ Could be the political challenge where the Minister is worried it would raise the ire of Mississauga and the loop situation.

I think there's also a real habit issue as well, Metrolinx having gotten used to telling Toronto that about the likes the Leslie intersection.

^ Could be the political challenge where the Minister is worried it would raise the ire of Mississauga and the loop situation.
But Mississauga didn’t change its mind on the loop. They always wanted it. It was the province which said no. Brampton on the other hand can’t make up their mind unless it’s a fully funded underground lrt which they don’t have to pay a dime into.

ML is worry that it will open the door to other things not related to Hurontario as well for Hurontario itself if the change took place..

Change order is nothing new to projects when there is a need to do so and there is a case to do so here..

The province can say to Brampton that since you caused this mess in the first place, we will move the stop as requested on your dime to cover the cost of building the tracks crossing Steeles. There is no cost different between which side of the intersection it built on, other than the intersection itself.

The winners are the transit riders for both safety and easy to access the station with the change to the north side..

Regardless what happens to the Brampton Downtown area in the future, the line will remain on the surface to the Creek and have no impact on future contract for the extension other that short a few hundred feet..

The folks for the Kingsbridge stop will jump on the bandwagon to have that stop built if the Steeles stop get move which should be in the first place. With the major development of the 2 plaza, there is a need for that station now as well the south plaza that is to happen soon.

As for the Loop, that is on Mississauga Dime as well the Feds since its a city wish thing. There is no benefits to transit riders or car folks that want to go to/from Cooksville GO Station from/to north of the 403 area using the loop. It will keep people using the car than the LRT..

Man Brampton is the worst for transit.

Please explain. We had one council narrowly reject the downtown LRT section, then tell Metrolinx to move the Steeles stop south so they could get their crayons out.

As soon as enough of those bums were kicked out in the 2018 election, council has been united with a Main Street LRT again, though they want a tunnel from Nanwood north. It’s expensive, yes, and they want federal and provincial funding for that.

But if Eglinton Avenue in Etobicoke is getting a much more expensive fully tunnelled LRT, and Scarborough is getting an extremely expensive subway, and everyone is bending over backwards to appease NIMBYs in Thornhill, how is “Brampton the worst for transit?”

Last I checked, Brampton has the best record for transit ridership growth over the last decade.

Man Brampton is the worst for transit.
I’m all for calling out stupid decisions, but it’s not like Brampton has flip-flopped multiple times on this.Yes, it was incredibly dumb to turn down the fully-funded LRT, but once that idiotic council was voted out, Brampton has been consistent that they wanted an LRT and that (for transit-user convenience) they wanted the Steeles stop on the North side. That position has been consistent for the past 2, maybe 3 years.

So, before continuing, can you (or anyone who agreed with the sentiment in this post) explain why Brampton is the worst for transit?

I actually did some research and paid for a FOI so I could dig into this.

This isn’t anything new, except now Peel Region (which includes Mississauga as well) is on board.

I actually did some research and paid for a FOI so I could dig into this.

This isn’t anything new, except now Peel Region (which includes Mississauga as well) is on board.

That 'love' is for all your hard work and shelling out $$$ in service of unearthing truth.

Much appreciated!

Back