Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

Ariel view of Dupont & Dufferin in 1950. From link.

1691018896478.png
Note the railway sidings used in the industrial area. No longer needed. Also why the railway just north of Dupont could become a GO Midtown Train corridor, as other industrial areas move out. Dufferin & Dupont would make for a good location for a GO Train station, especially for residents and visitors in the Galleria development. The bad news would be it will take decades to put the station in, if not the 22nd century, the way transit improvements go in Toronto.

Last edited:
The railway just north of Dupont is CP's only east-west route through Toronto (CP North Toronto Sub). It wouldn't be financially or logistically possible to expel them for a project like that, unfortunately. It's the red one below:

1691021237839.png

The railway just north of Dupont is CP's only east-west route through Toronto (CP North Toronto Sub). It wouldn't be financially or logistically possible to expel them for a project like that, unfortunately. It's the red one below:

View attachment 497117

We've discussed in the railway threads what might be practical and efficient, including having CN/CP co-produce (share mainline tracks) in parts of southern Ontario.

I wouldn't rule the option out entirely in the longer term (The missing link project was all about that)

That said, in the near-term, most of the CP Corridor can accomodate 4 tracks through the centre of the City, and 3 out through Scarborough (4 with retaining walls); though, some bridges would have to be widened.

Suffice to say, if the gov't comes to the table, there is space for a GO Crosstown route w/o displacing CP.

It's a nice idea, but the expectation then is either they do it out of the goodness of their hearts, or we, the public, completely subsidize it? I've had to work with CP before and it's...difficult at best. When CN was planning and constructing the York in the 50s, it wasn't to free up assets for a future commuter service, they were just looking at getting into and out of their new MacMillan yard as efficiently as possible. It was just serendipitous luck that GO and then Metrolinx came along and were able to buy up those assets (the Oakville and Kingston Subs primarily, with the Newmarket, Uxbridge and lower Bala coming later) and repurpose them into the network we know today. It also just went through cheap farmland so acquisition costs were next to nothing. I don't mean to sound doom and gloom, but I don't see any parallel here, unfortunately.

It's a nice idea, but the expectation then is either they do it out of the goodness of their hearts, or we, the public, completely subsidize it? I've had to work with CP before and it's...difficult at best. When CN was planning and constructing the York in the 50s, it wasn't to free up assets for a future commuter service, they were just looking at getting into and out of their new MacMillan yard as efficiently as possible. It was just serendipitous luck that GO and then Metrolinx came along and were able to buy up those assets (the Oakville and Kingston Subs primarily, with the Newmarket, Uxbridge and lower Bala coming later) and repurpose them into the network we know today. It also just went through cheap farmland so acquisition costs were next to nothing. I don't mean to sound doom and gloom, but I don't see any parallel here, unfortunately.

I get ya, but CP has been working w/Mx pretty smoothly on the Bomanville extension, and I'm told they're playing very nice w/Amtrak these days too.

Keith Creel is not Hunter Harrison.

Back