News   Mar 28, 2024
 176     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Toronto Eaton Centre

The Eaton Centre from a different angle. Here's a photo my parents took during the early 90s:

20211121_201828.jpg

This announcement is from a few days ago, and it's already in the design thread, but I missed it buried in there when posted among all the other items:
Cadillac Fairview has announced a new Eaton Centre renovation, including a total refurbishment and restoration of the skylight roof for $60 million.
The first phase will take place in mid-January in the south end of the mall, from Queen Street to Centre Court.
The second phase will begin in March of 2023, CF said.
According to the release, the work will be done by Zeidler Architecture Inc and Read Jones Crhistoffersen consulting engineers. Construction will be overseen by the EllisDon Corporation.
The geese art installation will be taken down and restored at the same time as Phase 1.

Another $17 million will be spent on new staircases.
  • three new staircases will be added in the South Court and Urban Eatery.
  • improvements will be made to elevators including installing a larger cab in an existing elevator to “better accommodate strollers and mobility scooters.”

Last edited:
Thought i'd post this photo from the Toronto Society of Architecture of the Eaton Centre, as Eberhard Zeidler (of the architect firm Zeidler Architecture) past away today. He was 95.

This is when the Eaton Centre actually had character and warmth, and wasnt soul suckingly bone dry thanks to Cadillac Fairview:

FIiMSMWXMAAHQ2R

That multi-tiered fountain looks absolutely amazing.

AoD

Once again, CF closed off all the side entrances to Yonge Street, Albert/James, and Trinity Square. You can only enter and exit at Queen (Level 1 at the subway or Level 2 at street level) or at Dundas (Level 3 at street or Level 2 at the subway).

This is supposedly to ensure the 50% capacity, and the security guards will ask if you have any COVID symptoms, but it’s not as if anyone would suddenly admit to it there on the pass through, and not as if 50% capacity is ever a problem in January.

What it does do is seal off what is supposed to be 24/7 public access through the megablock required by the city when Eaton Centre was approved.

Once again, CF closed off all the side entrances to Yonge Street, Albert/James, and Trinity Square. You can only enter and exit at Queen (Level 1 at the subway or Level 2 at street level) or at Dundas (Level 3 at street or Level 2 at the subway).

This is supposedly to ensure the 50% capacity, and the security guards will ask if you have any COVID symptoms, but it’s not as if anyone would suddenly admit to it there on the pass through, and not as if 50% capacity is ever a problem in January.

What it does do is seal off what is supposed to be 24/7 public access through the megablock required by the city when Eaton Centre was approved.

I worked alongside CF when I did Condo Security at Maple Leaf Square. They are very "fun" to deal with.

They look at things from a corporate security perspective and everything else is secondary. They don't care about people accessing their properties, if they had their way the mall would likely be closed.

I used to know the Life Safety Manager for their Toronto Portfolio. He had a bit of a reputation, if you worked with him you would not be the least bit surprised regarding the situation here.

Last edited:
Arc'teryx are opening in the space beside Canada Goose and right above the Apple store. The new store is expected to be ready by this summer.

I wonder how long it will last? The North face was at Yorkdale mall for a few years and closed in 2019 or early 2020.

Bath & Body Works will be moving from their current Level 2 location, downstairs to the former Microsoft Store space on Level 1.
The new store is scheduled to open in August.

Last edited:
More info on the Psycho Bunny store that's expected to open on July 16, 2022.

They're also planning to open a location at Yorkdale later in the year.

Talk about misleading marketing - I expect more flamboyant designs from a store called Psycho Bunny. Typically bland mainstream 🤣

Last edited:

Back