News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Hmm. When I rode the LRTs in Denver, Baltimore and San Diego they had literal gates that came down and stopped cars like a railroad. The trains never stopped, the gates came down and all car traffic stopped.

Seems pretty easy to me from what ive experienced in the US of A

If your headway is low enough, street crossings far enough apart, etc, I agree it can work just fine. A quick look at Denver LRT and the shortest headway I found was 10 minutes with most 15 or 30 minutes, and at that length of headway (and more spread out western city/int he burbs), signal priority will work just fine. Trying to make it work with 90s headways (which are awesome as a user, going from 10 minute to 90s headways saves everyone 4m15s per trip per direction!) not so much.

So why build 75% of a line to support 90s headways and all the expense related to that, to then ruin it with a section that can only reasonably support 5+ minute ones (or if your metrolinx, apparently they think they can get to 2 minute headways over that section based on the 15000 people per hour per direction). The only good news is that by pissing off both sides equally, it may actually be fixable with a better solution than a non-sense linear transfer and making this line what it truly should be. What is most annoying is that I doubt it would have cost that much more to do it right the first time....

It may be inevitable to split the line between the off the road sections and the road sections, unless they short turn more train sets in the underground section or something
Short-turning is probably a better solution during rush hours. And the "fast" part of the line can be extended to Science Centre station, if they manage traffic at the Leslie intersection (or build an overpass..). That way, the fast part will be connected to a future Ontario Line station.

Anyone hate the names of a lot of these stations, for example not using the major street at the stop in the name and making everything confusing to non frequent users? would it have kill anyone to have a Weston, Keele North, Dufferin North, Bathurst North or Don Mills South Station. Also i will add Pioneer village and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station to the shitlist.

Anyone hate the names of a lot of these stations, for example not using the major street at the stop in the name and making everything confusing to non frequent users? would it have kill anyone to have a Weston, Keele North, Dufferin North, Bathurst North or Don Mills South Station. Also i will add Pioneer village and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station to the shitlist.
Already have a Weston. I'd would've changed Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to just Vaughan Centre though.

1622764540001.png

Vaughan Centre Is still shitty, it should be Highway 7 Station and Mt Dennis can be Weston South Stn.
St Andrew (King West), Osgood (Queen West), St Patrick (Dundas* change the current Dundas to Dundas East) and Queens Park (College West - Queens Park) likewise should also be changed.
These changes would be so much less confusing. Museum could stay unchanged because it's not on a major intersection.

The Bloor and Sheppard lines got it perfect IMHO, just by looking at the name you know exactly where you are, instead of trying to remember what street pioneer village is near to, or trying to remember which of St Andrew and St Patrick is really King or Dundas Street

Last edited:
Vaughan Centre Is still shitty, it should be Highway 7 Station.
St Andrew (King West), Osgood (Queen West), St Patrick (Dundas) and Queens Park (College West - Queens Park) likewise should also be changed.
These changes would be so much less confusing. Museum could stay unchanged because it's not on a major intersection
Osgoode should remain. Osgoode Hall is a landmark.

Queens Park should remain as well. That's where the Ontario Legislative Building is located. Missing is a walkway that leads directly to the park. Currently, not that pedestrian friendly to get to the park.

Osgoode should remain. Osgoode Hall is a landmark.

Queens Park should remain as well. That's where the Ontario Legislative Building is located. Missing is a walkway that leads directly to the park. Currently, not that pedestrian friendly to get to the paW
We can hyphenate queens park with college west, but i am will disagree that osgood hall (the building) is well known even in Toronto. But i wouldn't be opposed to hyphenated name either that includes Queen Street West.

Weston can't be called Weston because Weston GO exists, and Metrolinx wants to unify the GO and TTC station names (granted they're not doing a great job since we still have 2 Eglintons and 2 Mt. Pleasants but that's the goal). As for Bathurst North, Dufferin North, Keele North, whatever. That will work, until they build a new line north of Line 5 where, uh oh what are you going to do now? If they extend Line 4 to Sheppard West, are you going to call the station at Bathurst "Bathurst even further North"? What about if they extend Line 6 east to Yonge, will that station be called "Bathurst Ultra North"? Oh Metrolinx is thinking of building an RT line along Steeles, would the station on Bathurst be called "Bathurst as far North as it can go before you're no longer in Toronto?" At some point you have to realize that there's a limit to naming streets after streets, and unless you want to have a bunch of stations named after intersections which aren't exactly nice, you have to think of something else, and naming stations after neighborhoods is a decent compromise.

Weston can't be called Weston because Weston GO exists, and Metrolinx wants to unify the GO and TTC station names (granted they're not doing a great job since we still have 2 Eglintons and 2 Mt. Pleasants but that's the goal). As for Bathurst North, Dufferin North, Keele North, whatever. That will work, until they build a new line north of Line 5 where, uh oh what are you going to do now? If they extend Line 4 to Sheppard West, are you going to call the station at Bathurst "Bathurst even further North"? What about if they extend Line 6 east to Yonge, will that station be called "Bathurst Ultra North"? Oh Metrolinx is thinking of building an RT line along Steeles, would the station on Bathurst be called "Bathurst as far North as it can go before you're no longer in Toronto?" At some point you have to realize that there's a limit to naming streets after streets, and unless you want to have a bunch of stations named after intersections which aren't exactly nice, you have to think of something else, and naming stations after neighborhoods is a decent compromise.
Checkpoint Charlie is taken, unfortunately. Need another name for the stations before leaving the Toronto Sector.

Vaughan Centre Is still shitty, it should be Highway 7 Station and Mt Dennis can be Weston South Stn.
St Andrew (King West), Osgood (Queen West), St Patrick (Dundas* change the current Dundas to Dundas East) and Queens Park (College West - Queens Park) likewise should also be changed.
These changes would be so much less confusing. Museum could stay unchanged because it's not on a major intersection.

The Bloor and Sheppard lines got it perfect IMHO, just by looking at the name you know exactly where you are, instead of trying to remember what street pioneer village is near to, or trying to remember which of St Andrew and St Patrick is really King or Dundas Street
IMO, the Bloor and Sheppard station names only work because those lines stick to a single continuous street (yes, Bloor becomes Danforth but it's the same road). That naming convention becomes increasingly useless on anything like the University or Ontario lines where it doesn't stick to a single road. For example if we name the station at Gerrard and Carlaw "Gerrard" that tells me nothing about where on Gerrard I am, given the line wiggles all over the place.

Also given we could eventually have stations at Bathurst on the Ontario, Bloor-Danforth, Eglinton, Sheppard, and Finch lines if everything gets build out as proposed at some point or another, I don't know how clear "Bathurst Station" becomes at that (admittedly hypothetical) point to anyone unfamiliar with the system. Like, where on Bathurst is it? I'd say that the practice of naming stations for streets works extremely well when there's only a few subway lines, as we have right now, but as more get added, those names will become increasingly confusing to anyone unfamiliar with the system. Personally, I like the way Osgoode, St Andrew, St Patrick, and Queen's Park handle it on the platform walls by listing the street name below a unique station name. Perhaps the street names could be included as some sort of subtitle to the station name, idk.

Already have a Weston. I'd would've changed Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to just Vaughan Centre though.

View attachment 324936
The power to be at Vaughan will slap you silly for making that request as Vaughan Metropolitan Centre was the name they wanted from day one and opposed Vaughan Centre name as well others. TTC try a number of times as well Toronto to kill the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre name and go with a shorter name. No need to have 2 station with the same name regardless its an east or west or what every.

The power to be at Vaughan will slap you silly for making that request as Vaughan Metropolitan Centre was the name they wanted from day one and opposed Vaughan Centre name as well others. TTC try a number of times as well Toronto to kill the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre name and go with a shorter name. No need to have 2 station with the same name regardless its an east or west or what every.
I know this may be pedantic, but didn't they initially push "Vaughan Corporate Centre"?

Back