News   Apr 19, 2024
 75     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 422     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 647     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

For what possible reason should there be USB plugs at a transit station with frequent service? This isn't an airport where you wait hours for your trip to commence.

Also the USB plugs are a well documented security issue, I would much rather in places such as this regular power outlets be provided.

The solution to security issues is public awareness, not denial of service. Those concerned could buy a power-only cable for use on commutes, such as this one from StarTech.

Educating people doesn't really solve the security issues, though, does it? The problem still exists.

Is it denying service to suggest regular power outlets? I don't think so.

Aside from all the political interference (the article kind of jumps between a bunch of things), their issue is with commissioning and testing and NOT construction? A transit agency running multiple subway and streetcar lines doesn't know how to test and commission a light rail line? I must be missing something here because that seems outlandish...

Aside from all the political interference (the article kind of jumps between a bunch of things), their issue is with commissioning and testing and NOT construction? A transit agency running multiple subway and streetcar lines doesn't know how to test and commission a light rail line? I must be missing something here because that seems outlandish...
According to the emails in the article, testing is not the reason. The article says the real reason was not stated. But if it's not testing, then it is probably construction on stations like Eglinton-Yonge etc.
“This is misleading. Testing and operational readiness is not the reason for delay,” Yelich wrote back.

According to the emails in the article, testing is not the reason. The article says the real reason was not stated. But if it's not testing, then it is probably construction on stations like Eglinton-Yonge etc.
They probably want to wait until everything is 100% finished and shiny to prop up their egos for the media. They should open it asap. Who cares if that bit of trim or paint is still not finished. As long as it's functional and passed occupancy

I watched parts of the Metrolinx Directors meeting on YouTube. Without adding to conspiracies, the Manager who presented Crosstown was being careful with his wording around Construction vs Commissioning with regards to levels of completion and timing. When asked for a specific date, they did not give one however they were clear that the focus was on public safety and readiness and as someone mentioned above, a detailed and believable commissioning schedule. I did see a LinkedIn posting from Metrolinx, for an operational readiness manager for LRT projects so that might raise some questions.. To summarize my own opinion, I felt as though they were somewhat confident about finishing construction by summer and commissioning to follow., Depending on how much commissioning remains will determine opening date. A bit like what happened in London with the Elizabeth Line early last year. I think the trains will be far advanced and signalling along with it but the whole operations including fare systems, entry gates etc might take some time. Not sure about the status of fire systems which can be tricky as well.

It seems clear that they didn't want to go past project milestones without validation that all conditions of moving past that milestone are met. Many contracts have payments and completion tied to milestones so if you move past that milestone you are basically saying that the vendor is off the hook to some degree. The comment "we need to be sure we got what we paid for" before committing to an opening points to a concern that is leading to them not having a date.

I have seen melting snow entering the Mount Pleasant entrance, some pictures have captured signs of seeping through the walls, and there are signs of shortcuts and incompleteness in a number of places. They really do need a vigilant inspection process and a testing process that isn't just testing the LRT line but tests drainage, station door reliability, all lights, all finishes, etc.

Save it as you may but this is obviously the difference between a 4 profit development such as a big condo versus a for votes Bureaucratic organization. The former would rather get the operation started as soon as possible At the expense of aeshetic fit and finish to maximize ROI While the latter would rather wait until 100% finished to hail a political success.

Back