Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Scarlett multi-use pathway to open in February

From link.

Starting in February 2023, crews will be opening the newly built multi-use path on the south side of Eglinton Ave West and west of Scarlett Rd., while the new pedestrian sidewalk continues to be constructed.

The multi-use pathway and sidewalk were closed during the road realignment construction that began in April 2022. The road realignment work is expected to be complete in spring 2023, before the construction zone flips to the north side of Eglinton Avenue West for the remainder of the project
1675785638676.png

Not sure what's the process of building a headwall? Like I would assume you excavate the location but then how does the TBH keep going the right path when it arrives?

Or do I have it totally wrong.

UT did a good explainer on this for the original Crosstown, I will link it here:

I still do a double-take whenever I pass by, baffled that there will be subway stations in this low density area...
They have or will be changing the zoning along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke for mixed-use higher density.

Last edited:
Infrastructure Ontario Market Update - March 2023

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension -

Advance Tunnel (Jane to Mt. Dennis) Contract Execution - Apr - Jun 2023

Stations, Rail and Systems RFQ: Jan - Mar 2024 RFP & Contract Execution TBD - Nice to see a concrete date for the RFP now and that it will be one contract

Market Update Link - https://www.infrastructureontario.c..._Market_Update/Market Update - March 2023.pdf

From link.

March 9, 2023 - Open house

Join us March 9, 2023 for an in-person open house. Get the latest information on the project and future work happening in the parks, learn more about how the parks will be protected during construction, and the opportunities for restoration once construction is complete.

Time: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Location: The Learning Enrichment Foundation, 116 Industry Street, York, ON, M6M 4L8

From link.

March 9, 2023 - Open house

Join us March 9, 2023 for an in-person open house. Get the latest information on the project and future work happening in the parks, learn more about how the parks will be protected during construction, and the opportunities for restoration once construction is complete.

Time: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Location: The Learning Enrichment Foundation, 116 Industry Street, York, ON, M6M 4L8
Will they post the slides like they have before the event? They have done this previously sometimes before in person town halls.

Also any luck having it hybrid or have the recording posted afterwards for the people who couldn't attend in person.

Why are the berms along Eglinton Avenue West so wide? It was to carry the Richview Expressway from 427 to 400 (now Black Creek Drive). The elevated portion of the Line 5 Eglinton Avenue West LRT extension will be built on the landfill that forms the berm.

We did not save any money or time.

Even if @JSF-1 and the planners are right, that the Ellington Crosstown will never exceed 5k passengers per direction per hour, we still could have saved money (either in construction costs or future improvement costs) by using high floor subway trains instead of low floor streetcars.

The tunnels are the same diameter as subway tunnels and high floor trains provide more capacity per unit train because you don’t have space being taken up by wheel wells and motors.

So to provide the same amount of capacity you could have made smaller stations (saving money on construction costs) or have made the same sized stations with the ability to easily expand capacity in the future (by simply adding more train cars)
I seriously doubt line 5 will struggle with a lack of ridership, especially with the Ontario Line and potential Mississauga Transitway LRT. The amount of high density tower developments going up around Eglinton before the thing is even done being built is a testament growth that we are going to see around this corridor.

Back