Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

I don't know how I feel about work resuming on this project, considering what rough beast we all know is coming.
And then we all will miss Ysl, prior developer Cresford, its team’s passion and love to develop and care of future Toronto skyline.

West One / N1, Montage / Neo and Luna / Luna Vista are all pretty excellent projects. Even Apex / Apex 2 were very good for their day (almost 20 years ago now). At the time, Alan Vihant was VP Development at Concord and Prish Jain was directly under him. There was a real sense that architecture mattered at the time and it's just simply incorrect to say that it's 'all crap'.

Post 2010, when Alan and Prish left, things started to go downhill. Parade / Parade 2 had an ambitious idea, but fell victim to significant cost-cutting, to the point that KPF asked not to be associated with that project. Things then tumbled further with Quartz, Spectra and Panorama. Nowadays, the less said about Central, the better (though that's just Kirkor in another firm's clothes). What will happen with Sky? Who knows. At least we can take some comfort in the fact that it's aA at the helm there.

The point I'm making is that (for me at least) real estate development is about the stories behind the buildings, almost as much as the buildings themselves. Picking apart the minutiae and dissecting why something looks like it does is not only fun, it gives colour to the values underlying what we look at and the world(s) we inhabit.

West One / N1, Montage / Neo and Luna / Luna Vista are all pretty excellent projects. Even Apex / Apex 2 were very good for their day (almost 20 years ago now). At the time, Alan Vihant was VP Development at Concord and Prish Jain was directly under him. There was a real sense that architecture mattered at the time and it's just simply incorrect to say that it's 'all crap'.

Post 2010, when Alan and Prish left, things started to go downhill. Parade / Parade 2 had an ambitious idea, but fell victim to significant cost-cutting, to the point that KPF asked not to be associated with that project. Things then tumbled further with Quartz, Spectra and Panorama. Nowadays, the less said about Central, the better (though that's just Kirkor in another firm's clothes). What will happen with Sky? Who knows. At least we can take some comfort in the fact that it's aA at the helm there.

The point I'm making is that (for me at least) real estate development is about the stories behind the buildings, almost as much as the buildings themselves. Picking apart the minutiae and dissecting why something looks like it does is not only fun, it gives colour to the values underlying what we look at and the world(s) we inhabit.

Setting aside, for the moment, the many lesser lights in the architectural catalogue of Concord.................

The railways lands collectively don't read well as a community. The relationships of buildings to the street and to each other and the way in which they integrate retail (or don't) is a very real problem.

Concord's overall track record is.............umm..........sub-optimal if spun in the most positive of light.

What was Parade supposed to look like originally? Was it just external cladding that changed or were floorplans redone too?

004898DC-8332-4EC0-A730-E27F7A043E58.jpeg

Model from concord office.

Back