Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
^ though as geek I kinda admit missing the excess of building for brand, by soon to be bankrupt developers (clients are doing ok). Mind you the massive reclad of BMO and years of re-painting TD etc. might give one a (budgetary) pause.

But Scotia still looks fantastic (choose materials wisely lol)... and Hines/CIBC may somewhat approach those heady? days with some good design and fab glass from Soto (I think).

CRANE QUESTION. This building has 'external cranes' and it seems to me that there is no way for the operator to get to the cabin at the top without climbing up from the bottom - there seem to be no walkways on the supporting arms (though @Michael62 or others with good views may disagree). For cranes that are 'inside' the building envelope I know the operators can take the construction elevators to their top level and only climb from there. Yes?

There is a moveable platform bridge between the main building and the crane. As the building grows the narrow bridge is also moved up the building. The operator still has quite a climb but it's only about 10 floors, not the whole 30+ floors we're at today. I sometimes see the operator out on the balcony of the crane 'taking a pee' into a container. It's very discrete, bit like being in line at a urinal ?

Crane Operator's Bridge

Truckload of regular and water resistant green drywall

Mechanical Equipment assembly on level #3 eastern portion of the building. The equipment has been installed on slightly raised platforms. A lot of this work is performed overnight

I wish I knew how to make this easier for you Midtowner, I'm just too close now to get decent shots that cover the entire height ?
No worries! Photoshop does all the work anyway!

CIBC.1.jpg

Framing appearing on the north side...giving a sense of the breadth of this beauty. Did a scalar comparison and it should span a similar girth as the Scotiabank Paza in the first image (but angled of course seeing both the north and east faces). Looks like it will almost completely cover, and handily surpass in height both the westernmost Harbour Plaza tower and Ten York leaving a skinny line of sky between it and L-Tower.

CIBC.2.jpg

CIBC.3.jpg

CIBC.4.jpg

CIBC.5.jpg

CIBC.6.jpg

CIBC.7.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I knew how to make this easier for you Midtowner, I'm just too close now to get decent shots that cover the entire height ?
For your own reference, more photos of the sky above and around the build would result in less stretching when it's stitched, however you'd then be posting photos of just the sky to an architecture forum (which I assume is against the rules thought there's an argument about skyscraping somewhere there...)

Framing appearing on the north side...giving a sense of the breadth of this beauty. Just did a rough scalar comparison and it could span a similar girth as the Scotiabank Paza in the first image (but angled of course seeing both the north and east faces).

Wow and we get two of these things!?

Can’t wait til we can see the glass on the skyline

Back