Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Taken from the Leslie Street Spit, on April 19th, 2021:

*cross-posted to 1 Yonge thread*

1618878817811.png

1618878845658.png

I've been meaning to ask Mr. 42...or anyone for that matter who is the sorta in-the-know about the COVID 19 Stay-At-Home orders of late regarding construction. I get that not everything is locked down. Not everything was locked in the more stringent 1st Wave orders either. But I am noticing where some construction sites are empty of their yellow/orange coated workers others (as depicted above) are clearly not.

So what is the criteria again? Infrastructure and residential are a go-go, where as commercial projects are a no-no? And if yes, from the said pic above, shoring and bridge securing are infrastructure then?

I've been meaning to ask Mr. 42...or anyone for that matter who is the sorta in-the-know about the COVID 19 Stay-At-Home orders of late regarding construction. I get that not everything is locked down. Not everything was locked in the more stringent 1st Wave orders either. But I am noticing where some construction sites are empty of their yellow/orange coated workers others (as depicted above) are clearly not.

So what is the criteria again? Infrastructure and residential are a go-go, where as commercial projects are a no-no? And if yes, from the said pic above, shoring and bridge securing are infrastructure then?
Good question, which I cannot answer, unfortunately. Maybe these contractors are hoping no-one with the power to stop them will notice, or that they believe they have a loophole to exploit.

I remember seeing some communications a few years back about a crane location above the tracks but it never occurred. Maybe they meant Phase 2? :)
Interesting. Get it in before the excavation starts.
They are moving fast! Get out the stop watch. The second phase should be quicker.*

IMG_6448.JPG

*. under normal conditions.

Good question, which I cannot answer, unfortunately. Maybe these contractors are hoping no-one with the power to stop them will notice, or that they believe they have a loophole to exploit.

Possibly because they are working over GO tracks and there are only certain periods when they can do so???

the second phase has something like a 6 level underground garage.. it'll be interesting to see how fast it gets built.
Does the garage stretch below the Dominion Public Building? I think it is certainly shared with them and excavating below an occupied building is difficult - I think the Feds have a lease on it for 3-4 more years.

No, they are separate. Dominion public will use this buildings ramps when it’s redeveloped I believe, but this development is only building the knockout panels for it to connect.

Well...thanks for least trying to explain that. I'm still a little unclear what those 3rd Wave stoppage rulez are currently...as here seems to be busy as bees. Over at The One, it was all tumbleweeds and crickets from the last pics taken of it. :(

Edit/Erratum: Maybe because there was an overnight snowfall before those pics where taken? The last set after that seems to suggest there is in fact some life to it as of today. My confusion on current regulation still remains though...

Last edited:
(j) prepare a site for an institutional, commercial, industrial or residential development, including any necessary excavation, grading, roads or utilities infrastructure;

AoD

(j) prepare a site for an institutional, commercial, industrial or residential development, including any necessary excavation, grading, roads or utilities infrastructure;

AoD
So this work site clearly falls under that from what I can tell. Thank you for posting that. /bows

Back