Below is a brief update on the progress of the CIBC SQUARE project:
Construction at 81 Bay Street
We continue to pour concrete and install structural steel to form the 81 Bay Street tower. Last week, we completed an extended concrete pour to form the core walls for Level 21, and a second extended concrete pour is planned for Monday, December 10th to form the core walls for Level 22.5. This pour is expected to start at 7 a.m., with completion around 12 a.m. We also continue to pour concrete for core slabs; this work has reached Level 15. Structural steel installation is advancing, with completion of Tier 2 (Levels 3-5). Tier 3 (Levels 5-7) installation began December 4th.
This Saturday, December 8th we will complete the first of two extended, overnight concrete pours to install post-tension slabs to form the second floor of the new bus terminal. Each pour requires a high volume of concrete, and work is expected to take 16 hours to complete. At the request of the City, work will begin at 12 a.m., with completion at 4 p.m. During this work, one lane will be closed on Lake Shore Blvd. for staging concrete trucks; access to the 18 Yonge Street driveway will be maintained. The second extended concrete pour is expected to take place on December 15th.
Additionally, a new noise by-law exemption permit has been granted for deliveries at 81 Bay Street, extending delivery hours to 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. Monday - Friday to accommodate increased tonnages of steel required on-site. Trucks will be encouraged to drive “forward only” to minimize the need for backup audible alarms and deliveries will be received along the construction drive aisle adjacent to Bay Street to minimize noise impacts on our neighbours.
Rail Corridor Overbuild Park
This week, we will complete the fourth phase of structural steel that will connect the park overbuild to the tower at 81 Bay Street. Upon completion, work will begin on the fifth phase. This work includes plumbing and torqueing steel.
When are we working?
Looking ahead, the following working hours are expected at CIBC SQUARE:
Copyright © 2018 CIBC SQUARE | All rights reserved.
- 5AM – 7AM Monday – Friday, beginning December 7th: Deliveries at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
- 7AM – 7PM Monday – Friday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street
- 7PM – 10PM Monday – Friday: Installation of steel reinforcement at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
- 12AM – 6AM Monday – Friday: Typical overnight work in the rail corridor for the park overbuild
- 9AM – 7PM Saturday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay
- 7AM Friday, December 7th – 12AM Saturday, December 8th: Concrete core wall installation – Level 22 extended concrete pour
- 12AM – 4PM Saturday, December 8th: Bus Terminal post tension slab installation – Level 2 extended concrete pour
- 9AM – 5PM Sunday, December 9th. Climbing Tower Crane #2. This work is permitted under the continuous operations provision and is not expected to be noisy
- 12AM – 4PM Saturday, December 15th: Bus Terminal post tension slab installation – Level 2 extended concrete pour