Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

It's a VERY big project involving removing most of the existing soil, creating proper tree pits, a new fountain, new drainage, new lights, lots of new trees and a much nicer "piazza". The detailed plans are not yet finished but the City has just put out pre-qualification tender call. The park is used most in summer and the intention is to keep park open until late summer this year and the work is supposed to be completed by early summer 2015 (certainly for the Pan-Am Games). Even if everyone agree to close it "now" the work cannot start until late August this year as the detailed plans are not yet made, the actual construction tender has not yet been posted/awarded and there are events planned (World Pride etc) this summer.

Thanks for the clarification, that actually makes sense. On a related note has Esplande been fixed up yet by the city ?

Thanks for the clarification, that actually makes sense. On a related note has Esplande been fixed up yet by the city ?

The Esplanade fix-up is underway - it was supposed to be finished by March 15 but the cold has postponed completion for 4-6 weeks. The section immediately west of Church is just about done, the block from Market to Church is 90% done and the section nearer Scott is going on 'as we speak'. Trees will apparently be planted 'soon' and the contractor will also be dealing with all the utility cuts made on the south side of the street by Distinct/Rogers in the last few weeks. It has been going on FAR too long and the City took over the restoration because WT was not getting it done.

The primary function of urban outdoor spaces as canine toilets is beginning to grate on my nerves. I don't know what it costs for a dog license, but it should be about $500-$1000 per dog, as that's about the damage the average dog does to the public realm (not to mention my cedar hedges). And fines should be equally ridiculously high for infractions as well.

It's high time the guilty parties start paying for "shit" in this city.

The primary function of urban outdoor spaces as canine toilets is beginning to grate on my nerves. I don't know what it costs for a dog license, but it should be about $500-$1000 per dog, as that's about the damage the average dog does to the public realm (not to mention my cedar hedges). And fines should be equally ridiculously high for infractions as well.

+20^^^^

Every new park seems to need a dog run, according to the neighbours but doesn't that put limits on park design? There is so much wasted land in this city, why not take some of those useless, awkward strips of land and turn them into dog runs? Dogs don't care what the run looks like, all they want to do is run around, socialize and urinate on everything. I know dog runs are needed but don't get why they have to go into every park. Can't we think smarter and get a little more creative?

I am not talking about Berczy park specifically, as this park will have a dog theme, so it fits the park. I'm talking about parks that have a different theme/design.

Last edited:

I have to agree. Irresponsible dog owners drive me nuts.

Maybe we need a few gated parks that are off-limits to dogs--places where flowers can actually grow, drinking fountains are not used as dog bowls and shrubs are not all yellowed with pee.

Last edited:
Claude Cormier has just presented his pans for Berczy Park to Toronto's Design Review Panel, and I have never heard the panel members so unanimously thrilled with a presentation before them. There were some details that the panel members had some questions about, but nothing huge, and they'll come out in the minutes next month.

The plan is looking great, and we will try to get an animated fly-through for you to watch.

I must say that I absolutely loathe the fountain design. Is the neighbourhood devolving into a kindergarten? The cows at TD Centre, the elephants at Commerce Court, the unidentified life forms at Metro Centre, am I missing other representatives of the animal kingdom?

Last edited:
Oh gawd, I love how Claude Cormier responded to the questions!

Q: The fountain matches the historical nature of the neighbourhood but the dog sculpture motif within the fountain doesn’t match the history. I’m hearing strong objections from the BIA members. Why that motif? Why not reconsider?
A: This design is from Versailles. Oh, you don’t mean motif, you mean accessory, because the dogs are an accessory. It has playfulness and dynamism. It is very unique. Your resistance to it reinforces that it will be good.

Smack!

I must say that I absolutely loathe the fountain design. Is the neighbourhood devolving into a kindergarten? The cows at TD Centre, the elephants at Commerce Court, the unidentified life forms at Metro Centre, am I missing other representatives of the animal kingdom?

Yes, the three little piggies at city hall.

AoD

Last edited:

Back