Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

All the power to them, and kudos to hiring CCA for the job. It's nice to see others get inspired and imitate what we do for a change.

It is although this is hardly the first time Toronto has inspired another city to do the same thing. NYC wanted a parade of its own just like Toronto's Santa Claus parade. The result was the Macy's Day parade.

Does anyone know if the fountain will / can be turned on this summer? Is there a specific direction included in the phased reopening? Or is the city just trying to save money by not turning it on?

I’ve noticed other fountains off as well. I assume that this is due to Covid to prevent people from gathering?
Someone in Parks told me last week that they hope to get some fountains running in next few weeks, one assumes that Berczy would be high on their lists!

Taken tonight.

IMG_3347.jpeg

Trouble is, and it's BIG trouble, the City of Toronto has again torn up Front and Wellington streets surrounding this magnificent park for the 5th??? year in a row, and the pace of 'completion' of this annual nightmare is 3rd world.

Retail businesses that remain having survived 2 years of lockdowns are again struggling to stay alive given the mess, the removal of street parking and the continuing disproportionate impact of Covid driven social upheaval due to imposition by stealth and fiat of 4 homeless shelters.

I can't imagine John Tory advocating for the conversion of the IC Hotel to a shelter, it being a couple of blocks from his home.

All this combined, and it's the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood residents whom are the problem according to City Hall when businesses and residents complain of the damage and danger and abandonment the neighbourhood faces daily.

Trouble is, and it's BIG trouble, the City of Toronto has again torn up Front and Wellington streets surrounding this magnificent park for the 5th??? year in a row, and the pace of 'completion' of this annual nightmare is 3rd world.

Retail businesses that remain having survived 2 years of lockdowns are again struggling to stay alive given the mess, the removal of street parking and the continuing disproportionate impact of Covid driven social upheaval due to imposition by stealth and fiat of 4 homeless shelters.

I can't imagine John Tory advocating for the conversion of the IC Hotel to a shelter, it being a couple of blocks from his home.

All this combined, and it's the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood residents whom are the problem according to City Hall when businesses and residents complain of the damage and danger and abandonment the neighbourhood faces daily.
There is LOTS about this project in the St Lawrence (neighbourhood) thread. It IS moving ahead - yes, too slowly, but it was always planned to do Wellington after the Park - for a variety of reasons - some good (shared telecom conduits) some not so much so (amazingly poor project management, which the City's Auditor General is investigating) but ...

The art work @ Berczy has a plaque - not recent I think. As the rope latticework part of the art seems to have been deemed 'dangerous' the explanation really should be adjusted!

IMG_1153[1].JPG

Back