Toronto Basin Media Hub | 21m | 5s | Hackman Capital Partners | SOM

The only thing I am somewhat surprised about is the apparent reduction of office space. That's odd. Perhaps this is a reflection of the growing work from home status of many film technicians. Still, assuming this will play host to multiple productions at once, you still require considerable space for production offices, art departments, camera, directors, props, locations, wardrobe.... but I have to assume they know what they're doing, and there do seem to be office spaces on the western waterfront side, glommed onto sound stages at an angle. So perhaps it's going to suffice, after all.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm happy for the city's film community. It's an important development and it's good to see the Portlands stepping up as a serious production hub.

Yeah, great question. I suspect the film studio itself wouldn't be too keen on that for security reasons. It's amazing how rabid fans will stalk a studio if they know so-and-so is shooting inside.

No you don't @DavidCapizzano

You're required to elaborate on that reaction!

I don't know... I thought the original scheme was pretty excellent - maybe just a few small details to hammer out, but this version seems like it's taken away what I loved about the first draft (the varying heights, the scalloped office building and parking garage, the pitched rooflines of the studio sheds and the cool rooftop production cottages...) and dug deeper into the things that weren't so great (ground floor articulation and materiality, facade treatment on the south side)

I actually don't mind the grey brick / green metal combo as long as there is careful consideration given to the final colour and brick selections. With the right brick and the right shades of green it might look pretty nice.

The production office space originally proposed in the taller building has been redistributed across the entire site, bringing the base building up to 3 ish floors (fine), but it reads as much more blocky and commercial now, whereas before we had these fun alternating green studio shed volumes above a low slung podium to what now reads more like a big warehouse.

Before:

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 11.33.13 PM.png

And after:

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 11.33.47 PM.png

Much flatter and bulky. It's giving amazon distribution centre.

Obviously this is going to be a secure and gated site so what matters most for the site programming on the interior of the block is that it functions well as a studio space - but seeing that this property has unobstructed frontage onto the water, the architecture on the perimeter should be the best it can be. Just kind of feels like this version is giving a lot less compared to the earlier concept.

Last edited:
I don't know... I thought the original scheme was pretty excellent - maybe just a few small details to hammer out, but this version seems like it's taken away what I loved about the first draft (the varying heights, the scalloped office building and parking garage, the pitched rooflines of the studio sheds and the cool rooftop production cottages...) and dug deeper into the things that weren't so great (ground floor articulation and materiality, facade treatment on the south side)

I actually don't mind the grey brick / green metal combo as long as there is careful consideration given to the final colour and brick selections. With the right brick and the right shades of green it might look pretty nice.

The production office space originally proposed in the taller building has been redistributed across the entire site, bringing the base building up to 3 ish floors (fine), but it reads as much more blocky and commercial now, whereas before we had these fun alternating green studio shed volumes above a low slung podium to what reads more like a big warehouse.

Before:

View attachment 452938

And after:

View attachment 452939

Much flatter and bulky. It's giving amazon distribution centre.

Obviously this is going to be a secure and gated site so what matters most for the site programming on the interior of the block is that it functions well as a studio space - but seeing that this property has unobstructed frontage onto the water, the architecture on the perimeter should be the best it can be. Just kind of feels like this version is giving a lot less compared to the earlier concept.

Remind me to egg you on more.........; very thoughtful critique!

Came to check on this after seeing a big proposal for studios in Markham announced today. This looks to be moving at the regular glacial pace, but was wondering if there was some Portlands infrastructure work that these guys might be waiting for. Can’t seem to find anything on the Pinewoods expansion either.

SPA on this one has been submitted:

From the Docs:

1679473062025.png

1679473088853.png

1679473127151.png

1679473164650.png

I believe the renders are largely unchanged since the last iteration.

Should anyone wish a closer look the renders are in the bottom arch. file (14.39mb)

Currently it looks like if Gilligan's Island was an industrial waste site. And as being the former, it also looks nearly impossible to get to unless you are driving commercial truck....

...so I'm not sure with all its pedestrian friendly features how pedestrians would get there to enjoy it. >.<

No new information but are we expecting a ground breaking here during TIFF?

A crew was working on Sunday. More winding down…. Maybe winding up. Not sure.
I have never been to Basin St. before.
Some folks have set up their motorhome/residence on the side streets in the area. I’m assuming they weren’t part of any movie productions.
IMG_5769.jpeg

A crew was working on Sunday. More winding down…. Maybe winding up. Not sure.
I have never been to Basin St. before.
Some folks have set up their motorhome/residence on the side streets in the area. I’m assuming they weren’t part of any movie productions.
View attachment 534530

I don't see any open permits applied or issued for this site.

Back