News   Apr 18, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Toronto Architecture from the 1940's and 1950's

Dufferin Street, north of Eglinton, only started to get developed in the post-war era. One of the most interesting buildings from that era is the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church on the SW corner of Dufferin and Lawrence, built in 1955. Its concrete frame, shallow arches and use of brick makes me think the architect had knowledge of Le Corbusier's Maisons Jaoul in Paris (1951-1955):

1955:

stcharlesborromeochurch1955.jpg

Today:

StCharlesBorromeo.jpg

Maisons Jaoul Paris:

Le corbusier jaoul.jpg

Attachments

• stcharlesborromeochurch1955.jpg
    stcharlesborromeochurch1955.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 2,038
  • StCharlesBorromeo.jpg
    StCharlesBorromeo.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 7,129
  • Le corbusier jaoul.jpg
    Le corbusier jaoul.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 1,855

Attachments

• unitychurch1954.jpg
    unitychurch1954.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,074
  • unitychurch1954a.jpg
    unitychurch1954a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,091
  • unitychurchtoday.jpg
    unitychurchtoday.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,704
Contemporary with St. Charles, but very different (Mies vs. Corb?) is John B. Parkin's Unity Church of Truth at 173 Eglinton Avenue West. Still there but with an unfortunate addition:

1954:

View attachment 37660

View attachment 37661

wow that is really gorgeous. in a perfect world, a building like that would be pristinely restored and returned to its original condition, including the interior.

It looks like a school, not a church.

Parkin's biggest influence, Mies van der Rohe, did not believe in the traditional approach of building types and styles. He took a neo-Platonist attitude that the purity of the form and structure, combined with exquisite detailing and materials, was more important than the symbolism that most people expected from architecture.

It could be that the match between Parkin's Miesian approach and the Umity Church's religious philosophy of "oneness", was a "match made in heaven" so to speak.

Interesting though that when the Church decided on expansion decades later, a more traditional architectural approach was taken, perhaps for the very reason you give, junctionist, namely that the Church did not look like a church in the minds of the later generations.

Dusting off this old thread for some pics I took a couple weeks ago. Here's one, I'll add another 1 or 2 when I catch up on editing:
This building is from 1956, corner of Yonge and Lord Seaton (Hwy 401)
Yorkminster Citadel by Jack Landau, on Flickr

I should mention that if one were to go to check out this view in person, there would be power lines ruining the view. The amount of photoshop needed to make the above even somewhat presentable was obscene.
Let's peel back some photoshop layers and see what's really there:
early edit.JPG

someMidTowner,
I chuckled over your descriptive phrase, "an obscene amount of photoshop."

Incidentally, I'd like to see earlier photos of Yorkminster Citadel--it seems to me that the windows might once have been "full-width" within the triangular apertures. (And in general, the place conforms with the "spikier than thou" school of midcentury ecclesiastical, not unlike SOM's Air Force Academy Chapel in Colorado Springs)

Back