androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 2E1

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 15 136976 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Apr 7, 2015

Project: Non-Residential Building New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a new 4 storey commercial building containing restaurants and retial store.

Capture86.JPG

Attachments

• Capture86.JPG
    Capture86.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 3,727
Had my first pint of beer in Canada in that pub (Duke of Argyle) over 13 years ago

It was being used a construction site office by Daniels for both of their towers

was it a Classic Hold Out during acquisition?

the hot dog supply was a holdout, but i dont think this one was.

isn't this a historic structure? is it designated?

It's too bad there isn't more space in the laneway, they could do something kind of neat with that property if they had some frontage along the south side.

was it a Classic Hold Out during acquisition?

This building served as Daniels' construction office for both the TIFF Bell Lightbox/Festival Tower and for the Cinema Tower, so it saw a thousand hard hats and twice as many steel-toed boots pass through its doorways for about a decade.

The historic house (can't remember the name, not looking it up now) in the Pinnacle Adelaide piazza was moved next to it so the pair could be a bit of a pair. I wonder what will will happen to that pairing now…

The historic house (can't remember the name, not looking it up now) in the Pinnacle Adelaide piazza was moved next to it so the pair could be a bit of a pair. I wonder what will will happen to that pairing now…42

The Richard West houses

Some info on the houses - it was actually 2 houses

http://tayloronhistory.com/2011/07/...john-streets-that-was-the-fox-and-fiddle-pub/

In 1868, the land between King and Adelaide Streets remained vacant lots, except for the home of James Hawley, an engineer with the GTR Elevator Company. No house number was given for his dwelling.

In 1870, on the west side of John Street, two homes were built. The house at 114 John Street was occupied by Charles Bender, a piano manufacturer. The residence at 116 John Street was that of Richard West – a contractor. In 1872, when more homes were constructed, the numbers 114 and 116 were changed to 86 and 88 John Street.

In 1890, the houses were again renumbered and they became 104 and 106 John Street, the numbers being retained to this day. These houses were considered substantial residences, their owners possessing excellent incomes. Their neighbour immediately to the south, at 102 John Street, was the Reverent John Barclay of St. Andrew’s Church on King Street.

The two houses, 104 and 106 John St. was a single building building when it was occupied by the “Fox and Fiddle” pub.

86 JOHN ST
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

Site Plan Application for an 8 storey Retail and Eating Establishment building (1911.0 SQ. M. ngfa)
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 189275 STE 20 SA Jul 12, 2016 Under Review

I am VERY interested to see how they plan to fit 8 floors of retail on this site while preserving the existing buildings facade.

Back