Ajax 72 & 80 Bayly Street West | ?m | 23s | Icon

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
72 & 80 Bayly Street West: a proposed 23 & 18-storey mixed-use residential & commercial/retail development on the northwest corner of Bayly Street West and Commercial Avenue in Downtown Ajax.

Image snippets from the Annual Development Report of 2020, Monthly Activity Summary of November 2020, and Council Term Report of 2019-2022:

2019-2022-Council-Term-Report---Planning-and-Development-7.jpg

2020-Annual-Report---Planning-and-Development-2.jpg

Planning--Development-Newsletter---Issue-7_Single-Page-2.jpg

Planning--Development-Newsletter---Issue-7_Single-Page-6.jpg

Sigh, we really need to have a sit-down between UT members and the Deans of Architecture Schools in southern Ontario. What are we teaching prospective architects than they turn out stuff like this?

Yay for downtown density; but this will not bring downtown appeal w/that architectural slobbery.

It's a KirKor-esque (I don't know who the architect is) Commie Block.

Ugh.

New designs by ICON architects

Well, that's a marked improvement; though still .......challenged.

I see @innsertnamehere 's local firm style guessing game is as good as ever.

I'm looking forward to the book version, in which he honestly describes the style of every working firm in the 2020s that has produced 2 or more hirise designs in the GTA.

Should be a good read.

Regrettably since @innsertnamehere probably likes being employable, it may not come out til the 2040s. LOL

Last edited:
We rendered a view from commercial drive of how the building will change the street scape.View attachment 442440

Observation on the streetscape here, the cut (lay-by?) and right-hand turn lane serve to make this very unfriendly to pedestrians.

Both should be removed, and street trees added instead.

On this image, we need to talk about conifers as streetscape trees, while I think they are under utilized, I don't like this, for a couple of reasons.

One, there are no shade trees shown at all, and conifers don't provide good shade except in dense groves.

Two, most conifers are not very salt tolerant.

I would only seriously consider 2 species of conifer next to a busy road; Red Cedar and White Spruce, these appear to be neither.

I would also note that most conifers get very wide at the base in full sun; and would then require pruning; and would frankly look a bit weird missing their bottom 3 rows of branches.

Back